Java Benchmarks: OpenJDK 8 Through OpenJDK 19 EA, OpenJ9, GraalVM CE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java Benchmarks: OpenJDK 8 Through OpenJDK 19 EA, OpenJ9, GraalVM CE

Phoronix: Java Benchmarks: OpenJDK 8 Through OpenJDK 19 EA, OpenJ9, GraalVM CE

Stemming from a recent reader request around seeing some fresh OpenJDK performance benchmarks, here are benchmarks of OpenJDK 9 through OpenJDK 18 plus the early access OpenJDK 19 builds. Additionally, OpenJ9 and GraalVM CE were tossed in as alternative implementations.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty consistent overall. Which is good in my book.

Comment

Java and derivatives, I hate you for your poor performance and huge memory consumption.
      You are the reason why Android phones performing lower than iOS and requiring more RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
        Java and derivatives, I hate you for your poor performance and huge memory consumption.
        You are the reason why Android phones performing lower than iOS and requiring more RAM.
        For mobile phones the fact that it wastes a shitton of power is also important. Java's poor performance kills not only time but battery as well...

Comment

Huh? There are so many Android phones that are highly popular and very usable running low end hardware in the market.

Comment

I wonder whether graalVM would perform better if the benchmarks/softwares are compiled down to native code, but then you would first have to get rid of all the runtime injection/reflection first.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post

For mobile phones the fact that it wastes a shitton of power is also important. Java's poor performance kills not only time but battery as well...
              Java is actually quite good with regard of energy consumption.

Can energy usage data tell us anything about the quality of our programming languages? Last year a team of six

it is only 2 times more power consuming than C.

The only better alternatives are C, Rust, C++ and Ada, but If you plan to develop mobile apps with those languages, good luck!

Comment

OpenJDK 8u41: that's absolutely ancient, it is currently at 8u332 ! (adoptium.net)

Also: OpenJDK 11.0.2: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.2+9). It's currently at 11.0.15+10.

Not testing with the latest versions available is ... not ideal to say the least, and shows a lack of understanding on how OpenJDK is released and updated. Bug and performance issues are addressed in these updates.
                Last edited by bobbie424242; 23 June 2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Ignorance is bliss I guess. You use Java (and more recently Kotlin) to develop for Android, but Android has never used any of the benchmarked runtimes. It used its own runtime (applying whatever optimizations it wanted), but it got rid of it long, long ago (Android 5, iirc). Everything that ran on Android since is pre-compiled code.
                  Not to mention there was always the Android NDK. But you go ahead and keep hating on Java.
                  Last edited by bug77; 23 June 2022, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
                    I wonder whether graalVM would perform better if the benchmarks/softwares are compiled down to native code, but then you would first have to get rid of all the runtime injection/reflection first.
                    It does, but native-image is still not production ready. Recently it has starting running out of memory when trying to compile simple programs. Not with an OOM, mind you, but with an arcane "Error: Image building with exit status 137" instead (Google it, it's "fun").

Comment

Working...
                    X