No announcement yet.

LLVM 14.0.2 Released With The Compiler Moving To Bi-Weekly Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to see the change allowing for timely bug fixes. As for toolchain maintenance, gentoo continues to lead the way…

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
      I think the solution is to provide multiple versions, like Qt5 and Qt6.
      I'm not sure it's quite the same thing. There are applications that simply cannot be upgraded to Qt6 because Qt6 is missing functionality that exists in Qt5. For LLVM, they literally change the API every 6 months and it can be a lot of work (a lot of hard work) to fix the application.

Shipping multiple LLVM versions seems highly undesirable and a latch ditch effort sort of thing. But Arch apparently caved and is shipping an llvm11 since I guess wasmer still hasn't updated their LLVM usage.

Comment

Originally posted by sp00nz View Post
        Not just that, but the C++ API isn't stable between LLVM versions. So all of those packages that depend on LLVM potentially need to be updated for the latest version. And sometimes those updates aren't trivial.
        You can have multiple llvm versions installed concurrently, i typically have some older stable libs which are used for GPU drivers an mostly everything, and a new(ish) version for development.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

You can have multiple llvm versions installed concurrently, i typically have some older stable libs which are used for GPU drivers an mostly everything, and a new(ish) version for development.
          Yeah, I know, Ubuntu Jammy has llvm-11, llvm-12, llvm-13, and llvm-14 packages all available

My impression is the Arch packagers don't think that's a clean approach. And I agree with them.

Comment

14.0.3 is now also released!

Comment

Originally posted by sp00nz View Post

Yeah, I know, Ubuntu Jammy has llvm-11, llvm-12, llvm-13, and llvm-14 packages all available

My impression is the Arch packagers don't think that's a clean approach. And I agree with them.
              There are very few libraries with perfect forward compatibility, much less those of LLVM's immense size, I would trust only libc, libstdc++ for that, and even there are incompatible jumps (libc5 -> libc6) and breaking bugs now and then. Not having a contingency plan for that is not a matter of opinion, but a lack of foresight.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                14.0.3 is now also released!
                Just fixing the minor version forgetting to be bumped in a few spots resulting in wrong version in some directory paths.

Comment

Working...
                X