No announcement yet.

GraalVM CE 22.1 Released With Performance Improvements, Apple Silicon Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GraalVM CE 22.1 Released With Performance Improvements, Apple Silicon Support

Phoronix: GraalVM CE 22.1 Released With Performance Improvements, Apple Silicon Support

Oracle this morning published the GraalVM Community Edition 22.1 feature release for this high-performance Java/JDK distribution that also provides runtimes for JavaScript, Python, and other languages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You know what would be cool? If they would add support for C/C++ to be run on the GraalVM

Joking aside, I'm trying to keep up with this project, but I still cannot understand the problem it wants to address.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      You know what would be cool? If they would add support for C/C++ to be run on the GraalVM

Joking aside, I'm trying to keep up with this project, but I still cannot understand the problem it wants to address.
      Faster, smaller java

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Faster, smaller java
        You do faster, smaller Java by properly using the module system and jlink. So far almost nobody has cared for either.

Comment

Running Minecraft servers faster, of course.

And I am only half joking... GraalVM does give a nice speedup with the right flags, though it has some on-and-off issues related to the Java version it targets and Forge mods.

Comment

OpenJ9 0.32.0 was also released on Friday. And it doesn't have a paid edition where Oracle puts all the neat stuff.

Comment

You do faster, smaller Java by properly using the module system and jlink. So far almost nobody has cared for either.
              People are still stuck with Java 6, applets, j2ee, web start, and many other legacy technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

People are still stuck with Java 6, applets, j2ee, web start, and many other legacy technologies.
                For the most part, that's not true anymore. The world has finally moved on... to Java 8

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
                  OpenJ9 0.32.0 was also released on Friday. And it doesn't have a paid edition where Oracle puts all the neat stuff.
                  There is no "paid" edition. GraalVM Enterprise Edition is freely distributed. Their only restriction is that one is supposed to pay a licensing fee if using the Enterprise Edition for production/personal use. It's relatively inexpensive if it's not used on a server (like $2 USD.)

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaJaneBonestell View Post

There is no "paid" edition. GraalVM Enterprise Edition is freely distributed. Their only restriction is that one is supposed to pay a licensing fee if using the Enterprise Edition for production/personal use. It's relatively inexpensive if it's not used on a server (like $2 USD.)
                    Tbh it's hard to sell something offering so few useful features.

Comment

Working...
                    X