Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM 14.0.1 Released To Provide Many Bug Fixes

Phoronix: LLVM 14.0.1 Released To Provide Many Bug Fixes

LLVM 14.0 was just released last month while shipping today is already the LLVM 14.0.1 release with this point milestone coming much sooner than usual...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On one hand, YAY! More bugs fixed faster. On the other, developers who've been used to the slow and predictable cadence of a release update every X months are going to *probably* hate this new bi-weekly rapid release cadence. I'd surmise we'll see them wait until a x.x.1 release goes live before moving to a new release.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
      On one hand, YAY! More bugs fixed faster. On the other, developers who've been used to the slow and predictable cadence of a release update every X months are going to *probably* hate this new bi-weekly rapid release cadence. I'd surmise we'll see them wait until a x.x.1 release goes live before moving to a new release.
      Wait, they're moving to a faster schedule? I guess this is what I get for never reading their mailing list. It certainly explains this release. Does that also mean we'll start seeing x.0.2 and up for future major versions?

Edit: It looks like they're planning to release five, possibly six bug fix versions for major version 14. I hope this isn't too big a burden on the team.
      Last edited by Neveready; 13 April 2022, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neveready View Post

Wait, they're moving to a faster schedule? I guess this is what I get for never reading their mailing list. It certainly explains this release. Does that also mean we'll start seeing x.0.2 and up for future major versions?

Edit: It looks like they're planning to release five, possibly six bug fix versions for major version 14. I hope this isn't too big a burden on the team.
        Yep. I'm not a coder nor do I compile things but I would still think that orgs that depends on a slower cadence will have to change up their environment or come to some new agreement on what version they'll stick with when released. For good or bad, those people wanting a specific issue fixed in an upcoming dot release will probably welcome this new cadence. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
          End consumers are welcome to stick with .0.0 releases. If they want to pick up bug fixes with the point releases that's their prerogative. As someone that pushes patches to the stable branches and representing an OS I welcome this as it increasing the window of time which patches can be pushed, decreases the time to the first point release and increases the number of point releases. It has been frustrating that (for the most part) point releases have been limited to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Neveready View Post

Yes, more rapid releases and more of them. Going from having -rc releases and limited to one point release to having more frequent point releases and expanding
            the time of window for releases.

Tom has implemented a few things in the bug tracker and other infrastructure bits to ease release engineering and point release handling.

Comment

Hopefully 14.0.1 will actually compile.

14.0.0 was the first version in many releases that would not compile.
              I tried on MacOS as well as OpenSUSE tumbleweed. Both failed with the same error.

Edit:

In case someone stumble upon this. The follwoing solves the build problem:

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DLLVM_INCLUDE_BENCHMARKS=OFF ..

You have to turn benchmarks off
              Last edited by Raka555; 18 June 2022, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

I tried on MacOS as well as OpenSUSE tumbleweed. Both failed with the same error.
                Same here. Thought it was because I am in aarch64. Even with safe flags and sticking to a single core, it keeps failing to compile. I tried with synth and ports directly, several times (I'm on freeBSD)

Editne letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Yet there are packages for macOS and SuSE for 14.0.0 and packages were built for 7 different operating systems.

Anyway, test out 14.0.1 and if it still doesn't build file a bug report and provide details about how you're building. Making vague posts here is not going to help.
                  Last edited by brad0; 14 April 2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                    Same here. Thought it was because I am in aarch64. Even with safe flags and sticking to a single core, it keeps failing to compile. I tried with synth and ports directly, several times (I'm on freeBSD)
                    Editne letter.
                    There are packages for FreeBSD. Anyway, 14.0.1 is in the ports tree now. Try again with 14.0.1 and if it still doesn't work file a bug report and provide details about how you're building.
                    Last edited by brad0; 14 April 2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X