X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volta
    replied
    The truth about windows and winblows fanboy birdie

There is not much discussion about Windows internals, not only because they are not shared, but also because quite frankly the Windows kernel evolves slower than the Linux kernel in terms of new algorithms implemented. For example it is almost certain that Microsoft never tested I/O schedulers, process schedulers, filesystem optimizations, TCP/IP stack tweaks for wireless networks, etc, as much as the Linux community did. One can tell just by seeing the sheer amount of intense competition and interest amongst Linux kernel developers to research all these areas.
    The net result of that is a generally acknowledged fact that Windows is slower than Linux when running complex workloads that push network/disk/cpu scheduling to its limit: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3368771 A really concrete and technical example is the network throughput in Windows Vista which is degraded when playing audio! http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2007/08/2...

Note: my post may sound I am freely bashing Windows, but I am not. This is the cold hard truth. Countless of multi-platform developers will attest to this, me included. I can't even remember the number of times I have written a multi-platform program in C or Java that always runs slower on Windows than on Linux, across dozens of different versions of Windows and Linux. The last time I troubleshooted a Windows performance issue, I found out it was the MFT of an NTFS filesystem was being fragmented; this to say I am generally regarded as the one guy in the company who can troubleshoot any issue, yet I acknowledge I can almost never get Windows to perform as good as, or better than Linux, when there is a performance discrepancy in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

I almost remember this but I will dismiss his opinion for a simple reason: ntoskrnl is leaps and bounds better than the Linux kernel. And there's no hatred or particular strong emotions in this statement, just a dismissal.
    ntoskrnl is terrible POS in comparison to Linux. It's not even funny how bad this POS is:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-d3e6859df6e2

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/fix-...ge-in-windows/

I was kidding. ntoskrnl is amazing piece of software. When it doesn't crash it consumes your CPU cycles. Oh, and don't forget about 'const int nt_users = 0;' from HPC.
    Last edited by Volta; 12 April 2022, 04:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

I almost remember this but I will dismiss his opinion for a simple reason: ntoskrnl is leaps and bounds better than the Linux kernel. And there's no hatred or particular strong emotions in this statement, just a dismissal.
    May you specify why exactly?

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
    So perhaps they support FreeBSD Wayland, but do not support Linux from now.
    Nonsense

Leave a comment:

• user1
    replied
    I remember before git existed, Linus said that he prefers to use the best available development tools, even if they're proprietary.

Leave a comment:

• RejectModernity
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

So? What is your point?
    So perhaps they support FreeBSD Wayland, but do not support Linux from now.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." Linus Torvalds on Twitter

It also doesn't look like Linus cares about stuff outside kernel very much. He has no reasons to hate Microsoft, they are using Linux kernel as well.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie

Linus Torvalds has never said a bad word about Windows or Microsoft.
    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." Linus Torvalds on Twitter

It also doesn't look like Linus cares about stuff outside kernel very much. He has no reasons to hate Microsoft, they are using Linux kernel as well.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
    FreeBSD also has Wayland
    So? What is your point?

Leave a comment:

• RejectModernity
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

Qt 6.3 Released With Improved Wayland Support
    FreeBSD also has Wayland