Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeType 2.12 Released With Support For OT-SVG Fonts

Phoronix: FreeType 2.12 Released With Support For OT-SVG Fonts

FreeType as the widely-used, open-source library for font rendering is out with FreeType 2.12 as its first big feature release since last summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Neat, you can apparently register an external SVG engine, so not necessarily tied to FreeTypes default choice of librsvg.

Though it also means it doesn't work out of the box, and leads to some weird circular dependencies, since SVG libraries are rather big leaf libraries, while text rendering are rather core libraries. You don't want text rendering to always load the big SVG libraries.
    Last edited by carewolf; 01 April 2022, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Sorry, if I know nothing about this. I can guess carewolf must be about right about this move complicating dependencies (hopefully the new dependency is optional). But what is the use case ? What can one do with SVG that one can't do with Open Type and is it useful and relevant to rendering text ?

Comment

Emojis with sophisticated gradients, shadows and stuff. The alternative is to turn OpenType into a fully-blown vector image format, in light of which this is pretty compelling.

Originally posted by phoron View Post
        Sorry, if I know nothing about this. I can guess carewolf must be about right about this move complicating dependencies (hopefully the new dependency is optional). But what is the use case ? What can one do with SVG that one can't do with Open Type and is it useful and relevant to rendering text ?

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
          Emojis with sophisticated gradients, shadows and stuff. The alternative is to turn OpenType into a fully-blown vector image format, in light of which this is pretty compelling.
          Ok. I didn't think of emojis. Maybe I'm not convinced they belong to a font or character set. At least so sophisticated. I mean text is something that should work in any support, if it requires gradients and so on, then the point might be lost when printed, for instance, or read in e-ink screen, or whatever...

But yes, it's an use case. People like to send ephemeral messages around only meant to be displayed on colorful bright small screens. And I guess it's better to standarize that, although I can more easily think of criteria to standarize characters than emojis, the arbitrariety with emojis seems to give me more fear of centralization... Never mind. Emojis is the use case. Question answered. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post
            Well, fonts are already a vector image format. They are just a monochrome vector image format, but yeah, adding color would require a somebody add a lot of extra features and standardizing it, and you might as well agree on a subset of SVG. Which is what OT-SVG is. Though many implementations use a full featured SVG parser, so likely fonts will be created using stuff the standard says is "optional" and "should be avoided".

I am not expert on librsvg, but as far as I can tell the freetype implementation is not even stripping out SVG elements that MUST be ignored according to the standard (such as <text>).

Comment

Working...
            X