Mozilla Formally Introduces MDN Plus As Its Developer Subscription Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Mozilla Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, meaning that (in the U.S.) donations are tax deductible. One of the requirements of 501(c)(3) is to avoid promoting any political candidate or influence legislation
    I don't want to get into the other politics, but I want to point out two things:
    1. AFAIK they didn't promote any particular candidate;
    2. While they do try to influence legislation at times, they do for legislation relevant for their main stated cause, you can't expect a nonprofit that aims at a more private way to not support privacy respecting laws.

Comment

I'm so glad we have Brave Software Inc to replace these buffoons. Mozilla can't die soon enough, hope they feel like morons for kicking out Brendan Eich due to their precious social justice. Maybe their staff will have even more free time to virtue signal after Mozilla lays even more people off.

Comment

Didn't Firefox drop support for PWAs? Personally, I want my web browser to be a web browser and nothing else, so I don't have a problem with it, but it seemed to be the cause of much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Kind of ironic that Mozilla's own product would be a PWA.

Comment

No, Firefox still have PWA support. You're probably confusing it with something else.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
            No, Firefox still have PWA support. You're probably confusing it with something else.
            As far as I can tell, SSB (Site-Specific Browser) functionality was removed. This should not affect storing web content for offline usage.
            Last edited by SavageX; 25 March 2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I find this monetization scheme quite weird but there are much worse ways to make money tbh

Comment

Maybe if Mozilla didn't give exec's such questionable pay increases, this wouldn't need to happen: https://calpaterson.com/mozilla.html…

It amazes me that open source and linux communities fawn all over Mozilla when they engage in the same hypocrisy and cynical behavior as any other corporation, like Google. I guess the old adage is correct - 'there is a sucker born every minute'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  I'm so glad we have Brave Software Inc to replace these buffoons. Mozilla can't die soon enough, hope they feel like morons for kicking out Brendan Eich due to their precious social justice. Maybe their staff will have even more free time to virtue signal after Mozilla lays even more people off.

Yes, they could make their profits the way Brave does, by skimming off their users (https://gizmodo.com/brave-blows-up-i...ing-1843951126)

Eich is the reason I will not install Brave - I don't like where he donates they money he skims.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                    I find this monetization scheme quite weird but there are much worse ways to make money tbh
                    Weird in what way? Would you rather they withheld relevant content from "free" users, to make it more worthwhile to subscribe?

Even Wikipedia has tp ask for donations from time to time, MDN (which its far, far narrower audience) can't be expected to be self-sustaining, can it?
                    Last edited by bug77; 25 March 2022, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post

Yes, they could make their profits the way Brave does, by skimming off their users (https://gizmodo.com/brave-blows-up-i...ing-1843951126)

Eich is the reason I will not install Brave - I don't like where he donates they money he skims.
                      Firefox has sponsored tiles on the home page... sponsored suggestions in the address bar.

Users who don't want to be skimmed have Epiphany, Falkon, and Chromium forks if you trust them to be thoroughly disinfected, I guess?

Comment

Working...
                      X