Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish 3.4 Shell Released With Faster Globbing, Improved Command Substitution Syntax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hikingpete
    replied
    I used fish for a few years, but I wasn't about to install it on my servers, and so it just lead to an increased maintenance burden for my local scripts. I switched back to bash, and have been reasonably happy about it. I do miss a couple line editing / history things though. Scripting is the worst reason to use it.

Leave a comment:

• foobaz
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I know people who swear by ZSH and Fish but I really don't know how to configure either of them. Any tips for a noob?
    The default Fish config is really good, I wouldn't change anything until you're very familiar with it, and maybe not even then. The one thing you might need to set is environment variables. I like to set $PAGER, with the command "set -Ux PAGER /usr/bin/most". The -U flag means universal, it tells Fish to remember the setting across all sessions and will persist it across reboots. The -x flag is export, to make the setting available to subprocesses, the same as export works in Tcsh or Bash. You don't need to put the set command in any config file, just type it at a shell prompt.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by foobaz View Post

You won't know what you're missing until you try something different. Tcsh and Bash are both great shells but Fish is my favorite.
    I know people who swear by ZSH and Fish but I really don't know how to configure either of them. Any tips for a noob?

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by jokeyrhyme View Post
    I've switched over to Nushell: https://www.nushell.sh/
    Uuh, this looks nice. Quite a bit different but implementing what I liked from PS: a typed and structured output.

Leave a comment:

• foobaz
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    I've never had problems with TCSH on FreeBSD or BASH on Linux before.
    You won't know what you're missing until you try something different. Tcsh and Bash are both great shells but Fish is my favorite.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    I've never had problems with TCSH on FreeBSD or BASH on Linux before. For scripting I prefer Perl to BASH scripting any day of the week.

Leave a comment:

• partcyborg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mangix View Post
    fish is great. faster and less buggy than zsh.
    Incredibly heavy zsh user here. 5.0x had issues but I've yet to find a single bug in the 5.8x series. What bugs are you referring to?

Leave a comment:

• garegin
    replied
    Any programming language without a type system is gonna suck once you go beyond one liners.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by jokeyrhyme View Post

But I did like Fish when I tried it
    Nu!

No, no. 'Ni'. You're not doing it properly. No.

Leave a comment:

• jokeyrhyme
    replied

But I did like Fish when I tried it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X