Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picolibc 1.7.5 Released For Embedded Systems With Limited RAM

Phoronix: Picolibc 1.7.5 Released For Embedded Systems With Limited RAM

Keith Packard continues developing Picolibc as his C standard library alternative to the likes of Musl and uClibc for a libc implementation that runs well on embedded hardware, especially for platforms with limited amounts of RAM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's too bad Keith Packard picked GPL for his programming language Snek, which makes it impossible to embed the interpreter in apps. I wish he had picked the MIT or BSD license, or even the LGPL.

Comment

Problem with newlib is that it is difficult to create stack-only applications if you want to use the comfort of *ptrintf and so on. On very small systems thats actually sometimes an requirement. People implement a lot of standard lib functionality themself. Could picolib an better effort? (licence will suck anyway ..)

Comment

Some numbers would be interesting. I know from personal experiece that swapping out the libc can lead to significant differences in memory usage. For example, htop with glibc uses ~5MB memory (RSS) on amd64/arm64, but only ~2.5MB with musl. Haven't looked deeper than that and larger programs likely benefit less, but for embedded devices running a bunch of busybox programs the difference is probably as substantial overall as with htop, if not even more so.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
          Some numbers would be interesting. I know from personal experiece that swapping out the libc can lead to significant differences in memory usage. For example, htop with glibc uses ~5MB memory (RSS) on amd64/arm64, but only ~2.5MB with musl. Haven't looked deeper than that and larger programs likely benefit less, but for embedded devices running a bunch of busybox programs the difference is probably as substantial overall as with htop, if not even more so.

1-2-3-4-5-1.jpg

but i prefer a phoronix benchmark and graph probably zig+musl vs picolib when it works

Comment

There are some other small libc implementations out there dietlibc for example:

A comparison of the different libc implementations might be fun

Comment

Originally posted by camel_case View Post
              Problem with newlib is that it is difficult to create stack-only applications if you want to use the comfort of *ptrintf and so on. On very small systems thats actually sometimes an requirement. People implement a lot of standard lib functionality themself. Could picolib an better effort? (licence will suck anyway ..)
              For more safety critical things, stack-only is quite beneficial, if not even a hard-requirement, so it would be interesting to see if picolib solves that in some way.

Regarding licensing though: What's the problem? It seems to be pretty much BSD licensed code, which wouldn't cause me much trouble at least, and I would be using this in a fully commercial setting.

Comment

Working...
              X