Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redis 7.0 Is Near With "Significant Performance Optimizations"

Phoronix: Redis 7.0 Is Near With "Significant Performance Optimizations"

The first release candidate of Redis 7.0 was made available today. Getting us excited about this updated in-memory key-value database are "significant performance optimizations" among other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice improvements! ! I do use redis for my home network. I have a redis server running on an RPI 24x7, so any client on the network can read from it or write to it. Door open close, light on off, etc. Very simple to use. Handy data store.

Comment

Does it still hate Transparent Huge Pages? I wish there was an 'mUnadvise' flag for apps to get standard pages on a system that defaults to THP.

Comment

Asking as a Noob, if it is in memory, does it compare to KDB?

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
          Asking as a Noob, if it is in memory, does it compare to KDB?
          No, not beyond the fact that they are both databases. kdb is designed specifically for financial/numerical data, and has no concept of sharding, replication or any other modern dbms system. Redis is essentially an in memory key/value store with replication and shardinf

Comment

Interesting. If the SSD prices keep sticking around the same price as today then in five years time it is feasible that an average desktop system will have more RAM than storage.

Comment

Is there support for newer LUA versions? Couldn't see it mentioned from the changelog.

Comment

Just to point out that Redis can and does persist to disk. It's not a pure "in-memory" system nor does it pretend to be.

Comment

You can enable persistence, but the way I use it, in memory works just fine. So easy to use with simple get() and set().

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
                    ...in five years time it is feasible that an average desktop system will have more RAM than storage.
                    I think there are a lot of signs that there's a bigger convergence coming. With storage speeds in the gigabytes-per-second range, and PCIe-addressable RAM, I imagine that the way we think of 'Memory' and 'Swap' will change, and memory will be tiered by the kernel. Imagine CPUs with 8-16GB on-package memory at blazing fast speed, and then expansion memory over PCIe, to either purpose-built chips or to general-purpose storage. I think it would be a winner much in the same way 'performance cores & efficiency cores' are. Intel could pop out CPUs that were basically ready to go in desktops and laptops, reducing engineering time, power draw, and part count.

I think this kind of thing might make the use of larger page sizes more important. It'll be more efficient to work in bigger chunks if they need their 'hotness' tracked and weighed by the kernel and get migrated across buses frequently.

Comment

Working...
                    X