Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Establishing A Camera API Working Group

Phoronix: Khronos Establishing A Camera API Working Group

In recent years The Khronos Group has been expanding a lot and forming a number of new open industry standards around 3D commerce, analytics rendering, and more. The latest is Khronos now establishing a Camera API working group...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Insert xkcd 927 here...

Comment

I was recently working with video4linux and opengl on nvidia and there wasn't any efficient way to display the camera with opengl, and the next best alternative was to write a lot of shader code to convert image formats at real time. Hopefully this new api works nicely with opengl (which I assume it should because its khronos we are talking about).
      Intel and amd supports V4L2_MEMORY_DMABUF which helps with performance, but you still need to convert image formats at real time and write that code yourself in a shader.
      Last edited by dec05eba; 19 January 2022, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Finally, this is at least 22 years overdue. It's so hard to do any kind of scientific computing with the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Insert xkcd 927 here...
          Couldn't be any worse than not having any standard at all at the moment.

Comment

Are MS and Apple planning to create NIH knock offs just because? At least OpenXR fared better than Vulkan in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Are MS and Apple planning to create NIH knock offs just because? At least OpenXR fared better than Vulkan in that regard.
              MS? I doubt it, they've always embraced industry standards to some degree, if not outright helping to make them, and lately it feels like they're just doing it more. I'd question their acceptance of standards like this if it conflicted with any of their products, but this does not.

Apple? Absolutely. 100%. They're probably writing up a draft to compete with this as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                MS? I doubt it, they've always embraced industry standards to some degree, if not outright helping to make them, and lately it feels like they're just doing it more. I'd question their acceptance of standards like this if it conflicted with any of their products, but this does not.
                In what alternate universe? Microsoft is no better than Apple in this regard.

Comment

this will be nice when it materializes, khornos has a strong track record if memory serves correct.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Insert xkcd 927 here...
                    Okay...

...wait, no. Not at all!

So, the article links Kronos' announcement, which in turn links a Scope of Work document with the following claim:

... the lack of cross-vendor interoperability API standards for software control of camera systems places developers in a position of working with low-level interfaces to physical components, or through vendor or domain specific libraries and application interfaces. This increases development time and maintenance costs while reducing portability and opportunity for code reuse, resulting in unnecessarily high integration costs and long software development times.

The lack of camera API standards is becoming more acute as systems integrate multiple sensors of increasing sophistication and diversity, and require generation of sophisticated image streams ...

So, in fact, they're not offering a competing standard, but rather introducing one where they believe none currently exists.

Comment

Working...
                    X