Qt 6.3 Alpha Released With New Qt Quick Compiler For Commercial Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.3 Alpha Released With New Qt Quick Compiler For Commercial Customers

Phoronix: Qt 6.3 Alpha Released With New Qt Quick Compiler For Commercial Customers

The Qt Company just announced Qt 6.3 Alpha as the first formal test release for this next Qt6 toolkit update. The Qt Company also lifted the lid on their new Qt Quick Compiler where they are aiming for QML to run at "a speed close to native" for that interpreted language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qt 6.3 Alpha Released With New Qt Quick Compiler For Commercial Customers; Old Qt Slow Compiler for Freeloaders

Comment

Thats how much the Qt Company cares about KDE and the FLOSS community.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Qt 6.3 Alpha Released With New Qt Quick Compiler For Commercial Customers; Old Qt Slow Compiler for Freeloaders
        Those "Freeloaders" are the only reason there even is a Qt in 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          Thats how much the Qt Company cares about KDE and the FLOSS community.
          I'm sure all your work is available for free. And, of course, far more valuable than Qt.

Comment

Those "Freeloaders" are the only reason there even is a Qt in 2022.

I'm far from sure about the validity of this statement.

Comment

What was wrong with the dual license model in terms of revenue? Why did they need to decouple QML compilers? I fear that will lead to poor maintenance of the free one.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                You are who you are, so I have zero doubts you have no clue about anything.

This list mostly contains of GPL/LGPL users. Nearly all commercial customers of Qt are in the embedded business, from interfaces for industrial machines, POI systems, gamble machine interfaces, Infotainment Systems and going as far as specialized interfaces for ARM MCU based systems. Those are the business areas that usually pay for Qt. Those are the industries Qt usually addresses. Those are the industries were people who used Qt, often through their use in FLOSS software especially KDE, in the last 27 years stick with it instead of switching to more modern and more reliably licensed alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm sure all your work is available for free. And, of course, far more valuable than Qt.
                  I am not a company, and I do not write on my website how seriously I take the GPL and its meanings.

I am a single person and of course my work is always GPL licensed, only GPL licensed.

Comment

instead of switching to more modern and more reliably licensed alternatives.
                    Such as? Is there anything outside of Windows that fits that bill?

Comment

Working...
                    X