GCC 12 Shifting To Stage 4 Development - No Sign Of AMD Zen 4 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 12 Shifting To Stage 4 Development - No Sign Of AMD Zen 4 Support

Phoronix: GCC 12 Shifting To Stage 4 Development - No Sign Of AMD Zen 4 Support

The GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) that serves as the default system compiler on most Linux distributions is nearing its annual update with GCC 12. GCC 12 has been in a general bug fixing period since November while beginning next week will be onto its final phase of focusing just on regression and documentation fixes to the compiler...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Nears-Stage-4

Patience is overrated.

Comment

I can't tell y'all how many times I've typoed out nzver2.

The other day I was compiling some software that requires -Os (CHDK). It'll be interesting to try out GCC12 to see how -Oz performs.

Comment

Anyone who wants to try out GCC 12-git, beware! There is still a bug (https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=101941) preventing you from successfully compiling the Linux kernel.
        ms178
        Last edited by ms178; 12 January 2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Half the rumors I hear are that Zen4 is boring from a compiler perspective because it appears similar to Zen3 while the other half of the rumors claim it will come with a massive set of AVX-512 instructions that put it about on par with Tiger Lake.

So we'll see what needs to happen to fully support it.

Comment

Nobody needs AVX512. (If you compute, you do it with a GPU anyway.)

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
              Nobody needs AVX512. (If you compute, you do it with a GPU anyway.)
              Very few people need the 512bit support that AVX-512 brings to the table, but many people can benefit from the new instructions that come with AVX-512 that work in 128bit and 256bit mode.

Comment

GCC aready support AVX-512. And any other instruction that Zen 4 supports.

Comment

Working...
                X