Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Clang Lands Initial SPIR-V Toolchain Support

Phoronix: LLVM Clang Lands Initial SPIR-V Toolchain Support

An exciting LLVM development has landed in time for Christmas! Complementary to the LLVM SPIR-V back-end work that could soon be mainlined, Clang has now merged the initial SPIR-V toolchain support. This allows going from Clang to the SPIR-V intermediate representation that is conformant to the OpenCL environment specification -- such as for compiling OpenCL kernels into SPIR-V...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does that mean we might see first-class support for writing shaders in Rust (and other languages using LLVM) in 2022? I can see a hype-train approaching

Comment

Originally posted by trilean View Post
      Does that mean we might see first-class support for writing shaders in Rust (and other languages using LLVM) in 2022? I can see a hype-train approaching
      You wouldn't use OpenCL SPIR-V for graphics shaders.

Also, you might be disappointed with the performance you get by using a HLL like Rust (or even C++) to write compute kernels that wasn't designed for this purpose. At the very least, decent efficiency would depend on using some nonstandard extensions/pragmas, restricting oneself to a limited subset of the language, and using PGO.

I should add that SYCL is probably a good place to start, if you're interested in understanding what writing GPU kernels in a HLL would look like. In this case, the language is C++, but similar restrictions would likely apply to any other language.
      Last edited by coder; 25 December 2021, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X