Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mold 1.0 Released As A Modern High-Speed Linker Alternative To GNU Gold, LLVM LLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold 1.0 Released As A Modern High-Speed Linker Alternative To GNU Gold, LLVM LLD

Phoronix: Mold 1.0 Released As A Modern High-Speed Linker Alternative To GNU Gold, LLVM LLD

Mold 1.0 is a production-ready, high-speed linker alternative to GNU's Gold or LLVM's LLD that currently is supported on Linux systems and written by the original LLD author...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It does not support LTO it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
      You can't build anything with fancy linker scripts either, from the issue tracker:
      mold cannot be used to build OS kernels because it doesn't support linker scripts. It's intended to speed up user-land program compilation.

Comment

Anyway I welcome the initiative and I hope that its technology will act as a proof of concept and lead to lld improvements.

Comment

I didn't check of there's a story behind the name "mold" but come on... I know the Linux community loves bad puns, but wasn't "weld" available? It's one way to make links, after all

Comment

Why call it mold when it is new? *lol*

Comment

This is great news. I hate waiting. < 3s to link chromium... awesome. Adds new meaning to <3 !

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
                LTO "linking" isn't really linking. It is compilation. So a different task and done by the compiler.

Comment

I wonder if some of the techniques can be adapted in lld? mold seems nice, but it's not very feature complete and unlikely to ever become full-featured.

Comment

I wish they'd make a graph, like the one shown in the article, except with (user + sys) as the time scale, instead of real time. The reason being that if you have a parallel build with lots of other jobs running, maybe you don't want a few instances of the linker to completely swamp the CPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X