Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LLVM Now Has "Official" Support For Targeting NEC's Vector Engine (VE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Now Has "Official" Support For Targeting NEC's Vector Engine (VE)

Phoronix: LLVM Now Has "Official" Support For Targeting NEC's Vector Engine (VE)

The LLVM compiler infrastructure supports not only a growing number of CPU architectures but continues to lead when it comes to its support for different accelerators. Back in 2019 NEC was working to upstream their SX-Aurora VE "Vector Engine" Accelerator and now as of this week that target is considered officially supported upstream...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I had no idea NEC made such things.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Japanese have a long history of fairly niche processors, focused on HPC and mainframes. Some of the more notable I've come across are:
      What really caught my attention about PEZY is their use a near-field RF link (TCI) for communicating with in-package DRAM. The specs put even HBM3 to shame!

"This chip incorporates 8 interfaces, operating at 3 GHz for a bandwidth of 1.525 TB/s per interface for a total aggregated bandwidth of 12.2 TB/s"

Sources:

Anyway, this appears to be their product page for the NEC accelerators mentioned in the article. Looking through Top500, they & their predecessors seem reasonably popular:

BTW, here's another Japanese processor company, Phoronix has sometimes covered, that I haven't seen mentioned, recently:

I guess they focus mainly on custom/embedded stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        NEC used to be a big vendor of vector supercomputers. If you remember the "Earth Simulator" that shocked the supercomputing world, that was a NEC machine. ES, back in the day, was really an unprecedented step up in supercomputer performance. On the HPL benchmark, used for ranking the top500 list, it was something like 5 times faster than the next fastest system, but not only that, being a vector architecture with a memory subsystem to match it could sustain a fairly high fraction of the peak performance in many important real applications (think something like 50% of peak performance vs. about 5% for a microcomputer (x86/RISC) based system for somewhat common sparse matrix type computations).

With the latest generation, they switched from being "full" processors to being these add-in accelerator cards.

Comment

Working...
        X