Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git 2.34 Released With Sparse-Enabled Index Feature, More Performance Work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Git 2.34 Released With Sparse-Enabled Index Feature, More Performance Work

    Phoronix: Git 2.34 Released With Sparse-Enabled Index Feature, More Performance Work

    Git 2.34 is out today as the newest feature update to this widely-used, distributed version control system...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-2.34-Released

  • #2
    Every time I read about performance improvements in Git, I pause for little while and think "when was the last time Git was slow?". Still haven't come up with a single instance.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Every time I read about performance improvements in Git, I pause for little while and think "when was the last time Git was slow?". Still haven't come up with a single instance.
      I'm guessing there are full time paid devs to work on it, so eventually they find stuff that can run faster, pretty boring.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Every time I read about performance improvements in Git, I pause for little while and think "when was the last time Git was slow?". Still haven't come up with a single instance.
        Have you ever used it with a monorepo consisting of several million files across several million total revisions? I'm gonna guess the answer is no, because this isn't really possible right now.

        Comment


        • #5
          I am sure this is great for all the power users, but as a newbie who is quite slow and dumb, what I would like most is usability improvements to make it more user-friendly.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I am sure this is great for all the power users, but as a newbie who is quite slow and dumb, what I would like most is usability improvements to make it more user-friendly.
            Won't happen. Breaking the command line tools is a no go. (And won't make things substantially easier - git is already pretty good a suggesting things.) If you want newbie compatible usability you stick to one of the gazillions of gui clients.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

              Have you ever used it with a monorepo consisting of several million files across several million total revisions? I'm gonna guess the answer is no, because this isn't really possible right now.
              So far I've been lucky enough to work with properly modularized projects till now.
              I have only heard about Microsoft hitting the problems you talk about and that's only because of historical reasons. I will take performance improvements whenever possible, but partial git checkouts I can live without. They pretty much defeat the purpose of using a DVCS.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I am sure this is great for all the power users, but as a newbie who is quite slow and dumb, what I would like most is usability improvements to make it more user-friendly.
                You keep saying that in every Git-related thread, but Phoronix is not the right place to post your suggestions.

                (also: I'm not a power user and I find Git user-friendly)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I am sure this is great for all the power users, but as a newbie who is quite slow and dumb, what I would like most is usability improvements to make it more user-friendly.
                  Use Tortoise Git or the integration in your IDE of choice. Git CLI has a steep learning curve if you want to go beyond the basics, but if you're patient enough you'll find there's a reason behind (almost) everything git does and how git does it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

                    You keep saying that in every Git-related thread, but Phoronix is not the right place to post your suggestions.

                    (also: I'm not a power user and I find Git user-friendly)
                    It's just what he does. Git, web browsers, programming languages, he's got a post on the first page complaining about something. Leave him be.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X