Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby Lands "YJIT" As A Speedy, In-Process JIT Compiler

Phoronix: Ruby Lands "YJIT" As A Speedy, In-Process JIT Compiler

The Ruby programming language implementation has merged YJIT, it's new just-in-time (JIT) compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ruby Lands "YJIT" As A Speedy, In-Process JIT Compiler

The Ruby programming language implementation has merged YJIT, it's new just-in-time (JIT) compiler...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...m&px=Ruby-YJIT
    its

Comment

Amazing, great time to be a Rubyist.

Comment

Maybe Ruby will make a comeback?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          At least where I work I am not really seeing it.

Node.js is eating Ruby's lunch for anything frontend related and for backend there are better languages depending on what you want to do. Biggest issue with Ruby is similar to Perl, the language is incredibly expressive which is great for smaller projects but for larger ones it ends up turning into a bit of a clusterf**k thats difficult to maintain and due to the way the language is used there is a lot of "magic" behind the scenes which is difficult to figure what is going on.

They are thinking of adding in gradual static typing to try and better deal with this problem but at that point you may as well use something like Scala or Go.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
            Amazing, great time to be a Rubyist.
            Or not, you should look into Python or Rust.

Python is cleaner and saner than Ruby.
            Rust has some things inspired by Ruby, but is more low level.

I think not, we've been migrating away from it where possible. We just had problems with gems and dependencies, so we migrated away from the static side builder Middleman (Ruby) to Hugo (Go).
            Hugo has been much nicer to us, and we got no issues with package management or dependencies.

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

At least where I work I am not really seeing it.

Node.js is eating Ruby's lunch for anything frontend related and for backend there are better languages depending on what you want to do. Biggest issue with Ruby is similar to Perl, the language is incredibly expressive which is great for smaller projects but for larger ones it ends up turning into a bit of a clusterf**k thats difficult to maintain and due to the way the language is used there is a lot of "magic" behind the scenes which is difficult to figure what is going on.

They are thinking of adding in gradual static typing to try and better deal with this problem but at that point you may as well use something like Scala or Go.
            Yeah, me neither. Ruby is quite awkward and there are other languages such as Python which is similar but more popular and more sane, and other languages.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Well, that's a matter of opinion. I disagree, I think that Ruby is a lot more regular of a language and better designed than Python in my opinion. And for small projet / scripting needs, that's what I go for.

That said, I don't see Ruby making a big come back. Python is way more popular and has way more libraries for data science and ML. Other technologies are more popular in the web space. Etc.

I am keeping an eye on Crystal though. (https://crystal-lang.org/)

Comment

I'm sorry, "In-Process"? As in you need to specify the JIT isn't in it's own process? What JIT compilers run as their own separate process?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I disagree, I don't think forced indentation and lack of switch/case is sane.

Comment

It never went away, the hype surrounding it went away but I see that as a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X