Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruby Lands "YJIT" As A Speedy, In-Process JIT Compiler

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ruby Lands "YJIT" As A Speedy, In-Process JIT Compiler

    Phoronix: Ruby Lands "YJIT" As A Speedy, In-Process JIT Compiler

    The Ruby programming language implementation has merged YJIT, it's new just-in-time (JIT) compiler...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...m&px=Ruby-YJIT

  • #2
    Typo:

    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ruby Lands "YJIT" As A Speedy, In-Process JIT Compiler

    The Ruby programming language implementation has merged YJIT, it's new just-in-time (JIT) compiler...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...m&px=Ruby-YJIT
    its

    Comment


    • #3
      Amazing, great time to be a Rubyist.

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe Ruby will make a comeback?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Maybe Ruby will make a comeback?
          At least where I work I am not really seeing it.

          Node.js is eating Ruby's lunch for anything frontend related and for backend there are better languages depending on what you want to do. Biggest issue with Ruby is similar to Perl, the language is incredibly expressive which is great for smaller projects but for larger ones it ends up turning into a bit of a clusterf**k thats difficult to maintain and due to the way the language is used there is a lot of "magic" behind the scenes which is difficult to figure what is going on.

          They are thinking of adding in gradual static typing to try and better deal with this problem but at that point you may as well use something like Scala or Go.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
            Amazing, great time to be a Rubyist.
            Or not, you should look into Python or Rust.

            Python is cleaner and saner than Ruby.
            Rust has some things inspired by Ruby, but is more low level.

            Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Maybe Ruby will make a comeback?
            I think not, we've been migrating away from it where possible. We just had problems with gems and dependencies, so we migrated away from the static side builder Middleman (Ruby) to Hugo (Go).
            Hugo has been much nicer to us, and we got no issues with package management or dependencies.

            Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

            At least where I work I am not really seeing it.

            Node.js is eating Ruby's lunch for anything frontend related and for backend there are better languages depending on what you want to do. Biggest issue with Ruby is similar to Perl, the language is incredibly expressive which is great for smaller projects but for larger ones it ends up turning into a bit of a clusterf**k thats difficult to maintain and due to the way the language is used there is a lot of "magic" behind the scenes which is difficult to figure what is going on.

            They are thinking of adding in gradual static typing to try and better deal with this problem but at that point you may as well use something like Scala or Go.
            Yeah, me neither. Ruby is quite awkward and there are other languages such as Python which is similar but more popular and more sane, and other languages.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Or not, you should look into Python or Rust.

              Python is cleaner and saner than Ruby.
              Well, that's a matter of opinion. I disagree, I think that Ruby is a lot more regular of a language and better designed than Python in my opinion. And for small projet / scripting needs, that's what I go for.

              That said, I don't see Ruby making a big come back. Python is way more popular and has way more libraries for data science and ML. Other technologies are more popular in the web space. Etc.

              I am keeping an eye on Crystal though. (https://crystal-lang.org/)

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm sorry, "In-Process"? As in you need to specify the JIT isn't in it's own process? What JIT compilers run as their own separate process?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Or not, you should look into Python or Rust.

                  Python is cleaner and saner than Ruby.
                  I disagree, I don't think forced indentation and lack of switch/case is sane.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    Maybe Ruby will make a comeback?
                    It never went away, the hype surrounding it went away but I see that as a good thing.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X