X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I used to code in Java 6 (and partly 7 and maybe 8) in Android, and it was really shitty, then came Kotlin which was a fresh breeze.
    How has Java evolved since then, and how is Java 17? Is it still shitty, or is it nice nowadays?
    I think of it like a C++ but with more verbosity, automatic memory management, no header files and a ultra-simplified type system in where everything is a pointer except for int, long, float, double, short, byte and char.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 20 October 2021, 03:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Shnatsel
    replied
    It would be interesting to see benchmarks comparing GraalVM community edition to GraalVM enterprise and to OpenJDK.

Leave a comment:

• GreenToad
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I used to code in Java 6 (and partly 7 and maybe 8) in Android, and it was really shitty, then came Kotlin which was a fresh breeze.
    How has Java evolved since then, and how is Java 17? Is it still shitty, or is it nice nowadays?
    A lot nicer but not yet as nice as kotlin. Some of the new things since 8 are "var", switch expressions, helpful nullpointerexceptions, text blocks, records, sealed classes and some pattern matching.

Leave a comment:

• coder111
    replied
    Java 8 was a major step up compared to Java 6 or 7. Any more recent versions are pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• grung
    replied
    Java8 was big improvement and 17 is much better. If you combine it with Project Lombok it is quite pleasant experience.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Oracle Releases GraalVM 21.3 With Java 17 Support, Other Enhancements

Phoronix: Oracle Releases GraalVM 21.3 With Java 17 Support, Other Enhancements

Oracle has published its latest quarterly update to GraalVM, the open-source Java JVM/JDK implemented in Java that also supports other execution modes and programming languages from Python to R to Ruby...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X