Oracle Releases GraalVM 21.3 With Java 17 Support, Other Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Releases GraalVM 21.3 With Java 17 Support, Other Enhancements

Phoronix: Oracle Releases GraalVM 21.3 With Java 17 Support, Other Enhancements

Oracle has published its latest quarterly update to GraalVM, the open-source Java JVM/JDK implemented in Java that also supports other execution modes and programming languages from Python to R to Ruby...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used to code in Java 6 (and partly 7 and maybe 8) in Android, and it was really shitty, then came Kotlin which was a fresh breeze.
    How has Java evolved since then, and how is Java 17? Is it still shitty, or is it nice nowadays?

Comment

Java8 was big improvement and 17 is much better. If you combine it with Project Lombok it is quite pleasant experience.

Comment

Java 8 was a major step up compared to Java 6 or 7. Any more recent versions are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I used to code in Java 6 (and partly 7 and maybe 8) in Android, and it was really shitty, then came Kotlin which was a fresh breeze.
          How has Java evolved since then, and how is Java 17? Is it still shitty, or is it nice nowadays?
          A lot nicer but not yet as nice as kotlin. Some of the new things since 8 are "var", switch expressions, helpful nullpointerexceptions, text blocks, records, sealed classes and some pattern matching.

Comment

It would be interesting to see benchmarks comparing GraalVM community edition to GraalVM enterprise and to OpenJDK.

Comment

I think of it like a C++ but with more verbosity, automatic memory management, no header files and a ultra-simplified type system in where everything is a pointer except for int, long, float, double, short, byte and char.
              Last edited by tildearrow; 20 October 2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

8 brought some functional-like traits to the language, but it has barely improved since. Everything in Java these days (the language, not JVM) is about catching up with features Kotlin or Scala have offered for years. GraalVM ain't gonna fix any of that
                It's not that the language itself is bad (it's quite readable, compared to many others), it's just that OOP everywhere doesn't really fit many of the things you're required to implement these days.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I think of it like a C++ but with more verbosity, no header files and a ultra-simplified type system in where everything is a pointer except for int, long, float, double, short, byte and char.
                  Yeah, that's one way to see it, but it also provides also garbage collection and exceptions.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

8 brought some functional-like traits to the language, but it has barely improved since. Everything in Java these days (the language, not JVM) is about catching up with features Kotlin or Scala have offered for years. GraalVM ain't gonna fix any of that
                  It's not that the language itself is bad (it's quite readable, compared to many others), it's just that OOP everywhere doesn't really fit many of the things you're required to implement these days.
                  Well, Java 6 (pretty much) when I used it was shitty, there were no properties (you had to declare your own get and set methods), there were no lambda/closures, etc. I much prefer C# over Java, but I don't know if Java has improved since then.

Comment

Yeah, that's one way to see it, but it also provides also garbage collection and exceptions.
                    Fixed my post.
                    By the way, C++ does have exceptions as well and the standard library does use many of them.

Well, Java 6 (pretty much) when I used it was shitty, there were no properties (you had to declare your own get and set methods), there were no lambda/closures, etc. I much prefer C# over Java, but I don't know if Java has improved since then.
                    Java 8 and higher have support for lambdas in the form of Predicate, using this syntax:
                    Code:
                    (arg) -> {
                      CODE
                      return <value>;
                    }
                    Last edited by tildearrow; 20 October 2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X