Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook Is Aiming To Make Compilers Faster Using Machine Learning With CompilerGym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF!? they tries to kill deterministic build and break trusting trust principle, seems they will fail with their fucking visual social malware.. where is Linus?!

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

While one can certainly have issues with the company itself and its business practices, the engineers working on their infrastructure are very good. This is no different than the engineers at Microsoft/Apple contributing good work to the larger open source ecosystem (sure, these companies are funding this work because they see potential benefits to themselves, but a rising tide lifts all boats, so you get some benefits too).
      That infrastructure is used to manipulate hundreds of millions of people with targeted advertisements. No amount of contributions to open-source software will erase the stain on their souls.

Comment

Originally posted by nikolobok View Post
        seems they will fail with their fucking visual social malware..
        As if?

where is Linus?!
        Probably not caring because it doesn't have any effect on his work? It's not like you're forced to use it or like he's some software freedom advocate.

Comment

Uhg, don’t know why I bother with the comments these days… Can we please keep the discussions remotely on topic?

Re AI for compilers: this is about applying machine learning to determine better optimization pipelines via reinforcement learnings, not using ai to guess at instructions to output.

I think this would work great for using ai to select which opt passes and what order to run them based on measured SPEC perf. Or tune another against Linux kernel compiles per hour or per watt. Or PTS runs per day

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

Hey, it is not complex math. If company A makes product B and tool C, you are at a net benefit only if C advantages you more than B disadvantages you. Otherwise, you are at the losing side. And contrary to popular belief, with stuff like farcebook there is really no opting out, they are still tracking you, they are still exerting negative influence on the world around you, even if you are not able to see it.

And no, I don't think farcebook invented it, it was people it hired with money it obtained in abysmal manner. I generally do not attribute any innovation to corporations that steal their workers's invention for themselves. I think that big tech is practically holding tech progress hostage, it is not like they are the only ones that can contribute innovation, it is just that they kinda rigged the game that they are the only primary users and drivers of tech progress, with independent contributors being but background noise.

All I am saying is they are not really out to do you any favors, they all do what they need, and you are just scrounging on the crumbs that fall off the corporate table. It is still a trash company, ran by trash people, for unethical and immoral reasons, and any and all praise in their direction is plain out silly, because those creatures always take more than they give.

If anything, the cultist notion would be to praise them for contributing to what is, despite all the fairy tales, just another business model. Yep I've said it - FOSS doesn't give a rat's ass about society, it is just a business model created to work around m$'s monopoly, and it worked out so well that m$ now makes more use and money on FOSS than the entirety of independent human beings on the planet.
            That's a great essay. Very Industrialized Society esque. You could shorten it by just saying you're insane and avoid practical tools for deluded reasons. I'm going to continue doing work, regardless if facebook made my tools or if the use the word "master" or whatever other reasons people tell me I should stop working and listen to their insane rambling.

WTF!? they tries to kill deterministic build and break trusting trust principle, seems they will fail with their fucking visual social malware.. where is Linus?!
            ... No, they do not try to kill deterministic builds. This isn't a forced feature, it's an option. Do you even know what optimization flags are? Do you even program? Are you just in this thread because you're lonely?

Comment

Yeah, no. Every piece of bottom-tier code churned out by failed EE grads that e.g. uses a linked list for a 1M-element pile of data is not going to magically stop sucking just because you added buzzwords to a compiler. Especially when that code is 18 layers deep in some newbtastic tower of JS frameworks.

Shit code is shit, the end. The only "optimization" that will EVER actually fix problems like these is "have a competent developer rewrite it".

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                That's a great essay. Very Industrialized Society esque. You could shorten it by just saying you're insane and avoid practical tools for deluded reasons. I'm going to continue doing work, regardless if facebook made my tools or if the use the word "master" or whatever other reasons people tell me I should stop working and listen to their insane rambling.
                Seeing how mentally deficient you are, made evident by your complete missing of the point, you are probably not a competent authority on who is sane and who isn't. But then again, if that's the best argument you can present, you have my sincere condolences.

What I said is I don't see that as a good deed, and that I don't give any credit to corporate entities that claim the work of their wage slaves as their own. I will go and use whatever serves my needs, and I won't go about tonguing corporate sphincters in gratitude. I respect and appreciate the good work done by engineers, and still spit on the lousy companies that get to own their contributions.

Companies like that do not make open source tools as a service to humanity, they do it because the FOSS model mandates it. Only FOSS zealots are capable of forcing themselves into the stupidity of seeing it otherwise. It is quite ridiculous that those companies will ever do anything like that for the sake of doing good. Those most contributing to FOSS companies also happen to be the most universally despised by society, and almost all of that is for good reasons. So the notion that they'd contribute to FOSS because that's what the "good guys" are doing is foolish on its face, a few useful tools doesn't come even close to redeeming them.
                Last edited by ddriver; 04 October 2021, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Markopolo View Post
                  Re AI for compilers: this is about applying machine learning to determine better optimization pipelines via reinforcement learnings, not using ai to guess at instructions to output.

I think this would work great for using ai to select which opt passes and what order to run them based on measured SPEC perf. Or tune another against Linux kernel compiles per hour or per watt. Or PTS runs per day
                  Let me start by establishing that I work on compiler infrastructure to earn my daily bread. I am familiar with GCC optimization passes at an intimate level that not too many others on the planet exceed. No optimization pass contains dark magic: they're more like algebraic operations. Like in algebra, the order of operations counts.

The order of optimization passes is strictly dependent. Changing them could possibly result in no optimization or could result in a semantic change in the generated program. The first is harmless, the second is catastrophic. Optimization passes do result in different instructions chosen. Letting an AI guess the order of optimization passes can and will probably make the behaviour of the resulting program unpredictable. It is possible to prove the correctness of the output of the compiler as long as the order of the optimization passes (and their tuning parameters) is known. The same can not apply to the AI-generated combinatorial output, unless the AI itself can be made to understand the semantics of the program it is compiling so it can predict the correct output. It needs to be able to predict whether any arbitrary input will generate a program that will halt, for example.

Comment

Seeing how mentally deficient you are, made evident by your complete missing of the point, you are probably not a competent authority on who is sane and who isn't. But then again, if that's the best argument you can present, you have my sincere condolences.

What I said is I don't see that as a good deed, and that I don't give any credit to corporate entities that claim the work of their wage slaves as their own. I will go and use whatever serves my needs, and I won't go about tonguing corporate sphincters in gratitude. I respect and appreciate the good work done by engineers, and still spit on the lousy companies that get to own their contributions.

Companies like that do not make open source tools as a service to humanity, they do it because the FOSS model mandates it. Only FOSS zealots are capable of forcing themselves into the stupidity of seeing it otherwise. It is quite ridiculous that those companies will ever do anything like that for the sake of doing good. Those most contributing to FOSS companies also happen to be the most universally despised by society, and almost all of that is for good reasons. So the notion that they'd contribute to FOSS because that's what the "good guys" are doing is foolish on its face, a few useful tools doesn't come even close to redeeming them.
                    I'm astonished you still think if you spew the right words at me I'll start listening to you and go live in the woods away from all those evil meanie corporations you don't like.

No, the reason corporations contribute to open source is because it's free work. It's not about trying to "look good". I don't know how you can't understand that, unless you just don't understand basic economics and business practice, which I assume you don't, since you seem to believe corporations are cartoon villains, and not just a bunch of stupid people trying to get by. Not every single little thing people you don't like do is some sort of 4D chess move in some grand scheme to control the world, they're literally just doing whatever they think is useful to save resources.

Comment

Great, maybe they can use AI to figure how to not be such a sh1tty company.
                      Actually, they are the result of combining AI with the procrastination of Zuckerberg when he was at college. You mix these two things and you get... that.

This effort would be welcome if they used a compiler 100% designed as machine learning, for building all the software in their servers (it would be greatly welcome because of course it would fail -just remember your last conversation with a machine learning chatbot, and imagine the kind of object code you could get- ...and then we would get rid of FB and we could partially recover from the harm caused to humankind).

Comment

Working...
                      X