Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook Is Aiming To Make Compilers Faster Using Machine Learning With CompilerGym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

Yeah yeah let's praise our corporate overlords for the crumbs they leave behind for the roaches to feast on.
    You sound like a cultist. Quit putting politics into everything, a tool is a tool is a tool, it doesn't become "impure" because somebody you don't like made it.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

While one can certainly have issues with the company itself and its business practices, the engineers working on their infrastructure are very good. This is no different than the engineers at Microsoft/Apple contributing good work to the larger open source ecosystem (sure, these companies are funding this work because they see potential benefits to themselves, but a rising tide lifts all boats, so you get some benefits too).
      Microsoft is a cancer. They bought Github and added some features, and were praised for it. While at the same time, used "code signing" under the premise of "security" to make it extremely difficult, expensive, and a huge invasion of developer privacy to distribute software on their platform unless you are a business. If you don't sign your code, "Windows Defender", "SmartScreen" and antivirus vendors will artificially add bugs to your code and then tell the user that your binary is infected until you pay. Apple is very similar, maybe even worse. Do you think they deserve an ounce of praise for their "contributions" to open source?

Originally posted by discordian View Post

Where do you think the vast majority of paid work on Linux comes from?
      So the existence of Linux in it's current state justifies corporate misdeeds? There are reasons why you are using Linux despite the fact that Windows and Mac are easier, and it probably is the same corporate misdeeds you are defending, the cognitive dissonance is staggering.

Comment

I'm not a fan of needing to download some massive file containing neural network weights just to compile software. Neither am I fond of needing craploads of processing power to run their neural network either. All for what? A hypothetical chance for slightly better optimized software?

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
          this post speaks in terms of making the compiler faster but the context sounds like they mean making the compiled code faster?
          quite a lot of people (and companies) turn some optimizations off, because the compile time would be increased too much, but has the downside of lowering the programs performance
          the hope that by making the compilation times faster (thanks to ML), the need to turn such optimizations off goes away (which means that programs, where this was done, become faster)

Comment

Originally posted by spanky View Post
            Microsoft is a cancer. They bought Github and added some features, and were praised for it. While at the same time, used "code signing" under the premise of "security" to make it extremely difficult, expensive, and a huge invasion of developer privacy to distribute software on their platform unless you are a business. If you don't sign your code, "Windows Defender", "SmartScreen" and antivirus vendors will artificially add bugs to your code and then tell the user that your binary is infected until you pay. Apple is very similar, maybe even worse.
            Worst of all is that signed malware even exists (particularly rogue antivirus software).

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
              I'm not a fan of needing to download some massive file containing neural network weights just to compile software. Neither am I fond of needing craploads of processing power to run their neural network either. All for what? A hypothetical chance for slightly better optimized software?
              If it makes my infinite loop complete in half the time I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

You sound like a cultist. Quit putting politics into everything, a tool is a tool is a tool, it doesn't become "impure" because somebody you don't like made it.
                Hey, it is not complex math. If company A makes product B and tool C, you are at a net benefit only if C advantages you more than B disadvantages you. Otherwise, you are at the losing side. And contrary to popular belief, with stuff like farcebook there is really no opting out, they are still tracking you, they are still exerting negative influence on the world around you, even if you are not able to see it.

And no, I don't think farcebook invented it, it was people it hired with money it obtained in abysmal manner. I generally do not attribute any innovation to corporations that steal their workers's invention for themselves. I think that big tech is practically holding tech progress hostage, it is not like they are the only ones that can contribute innovation, it is just that they kinda rigged the game that they are the only primary users and drivers of tech progress, with independent contributors being but background noise.

All I am saying is they are not really out to do you any favors, they all do what they need, and you are just scrounging on the crumbs that fall off the corporate table. It is still a trash company, ran by trash people, for unethical and immoral reasons, and any and all praise in their direction is plain out silly, because those creatures always take more than they give.

If anything, the cultist notion would be to praise them for contributing to what is, despite all the fairy tales, just another business model. Yep I've said it - FOSS doesn't give a rat's ass about society, it is just a business model created to work around m$'s monopoly, and it worked out so well that m$ now makes more use and money on FOSS than the entirety of independent human beings on the planet.
                Last edited by ddriver; 02 October 2021, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                  This seems very confusing. Their goal is to have compiler produce more "optimized" (for what?) programs by calling out to some Python programs that will iterate over combinatoric solutions using inscrutable and unknown heuristics and that will speed up the compiler. It strikes me that (1) adding a whole lot of out-of-process processing is unlikely to make the compilation faster, (2) how it is possible to prove the correctness of the output of a ML-generated algorithm laden with intellectual debt, and (3) how faster compilers equate with faster programs is beyond my understanding.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding. Or at least, the results will be in the pudding. I wouldn't trust my life or my liability to ML-generated software. Azimov's laws are fiction.
                  i think you confuse compilation speed with performance of compiled code. i am not surprised, because of the poor wording of article.

Comment

Microsoft is a cancer. They bought Github and added some features, and were praised for it.
                    Okay, I use Github
                    While at the same time, used "code signing" under the premise of "security" to make it extremely difficult, expensive, and a huge invasion of developer privacy to distribute software on their platform unless you are a business.
                    I dont use their Plattform (unless I have to)
                    If you don't sign your code, "Windows Defender", "SmartScreen" and antivirus vendors will artificially add bugs to your code and then tell the user that your binary is infected until you pay.
                    Sounds like you are on track, "Deep state" involved?
                    Apple is very similar, maybe even worse. Do you think they deserve an ounce of praise for their "contributions" to open source?
                    I love LLVM, grats to Apple to pushing it.

So the existence of Linux in it's current state justifies corporate misdeeds?
                    Weird conclusion, but given that MS committed code, you should hold true to your ideals and show them who's the boss: Dont use Linux!

There are reasons why you are using Linux despite the fact that Windows and Mac are easier, and it probably is the same corporate misdeeds you are defending, the cognitive dissonance is staggering.
                    I use Linux because it fits my needs, I will likely buy a Macbook in the future.
                    If I would not use a PS4 for gaming I would be running Windows, you really thing corporations take care if you dont use their open source projects and make a frowny face?

I mean its not hypocritical like using Linux for "freedom/open source" and then installing a DRM ridden crapware line Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                      Sounds like you are on track, "Deep state" involved?
                      Ah, the old gaslight. Anybody who suspects Microsoft of wrongdoing, despite their long history of wrongdoing, must be crazy, right? Besides, we all know that every world government (or at least the US) is completely stocked with do-gooders from top to bottom, right? So we can cleanly create an equivalency between people who suspect Microsoft of wrongdoing with people who believe it is even possible for rogue factions to exist within any government, or that any human beings would ever conspire against other human beings for their own gain.

Nevermind that what I said is easily verifiable by going to Github, of all places, and looking for all the instances of projects that support Windows and:
                      1. Are asking for money to help buy a code signing certificate
                      2. If they do not yet have a cert, are loaded with bug reports claiming that Windows said it was a virus and/or random syscalls they make get blocked for being "suspicious"

Comment

Working...
                      X