Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LLVM 13.0 Released With Official Flang Binary Packages, Improved OpenCL Clang Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    brad0

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    Read a paper just yesterday that said it did on platforms that don't have LLVM support, but yes on AMD64 I think you might be right that base doesn't ship with that ancient GCC version.
    Common sense I'm talking about archs that use Clang which makes up most of the supported archs. Flang will never exist on non-Clang archs.

Leave a comment:

• kvuj
    Phoronix Member

• kvuj
    replied
    Originally posted by david-nk View Post

You mean LLVM? Besides, there are at least 4 projects called flang, but they all target LLVM.

From the LLVM 12 release notes:

"Flang is able to parse a comprehensive subset of the Fortran language and check it for correctness. Flang is not yet able to generate LLVM IR for the source code and thus is unable to compile a running binary.

(...)

By default, Flang will parse the Fortran file hello.f90 then unparse it to a canonical Fortran source file. Flang will then invoke an external Fortran compiler to compile this source file and link it, placing the resulting executable in hello.bin.

To specify the external Fortran compiler, set the F18_FC environment variable to the name of the compiler binary and ensure that it is on yourPATH. The default value for F18_FC is gfortran."
    kvuj
    Phoronix Member
    Last edited by kvuj; 02 October 2021, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• david-nk
    Phoronix Member

• david-nk
    replied
    Originally posted by kvuj View Post
    Flang getting some love is pretty cool, however is it still only a parser? Last time I checked it didn't do compilation and instead threw everything at GCC.
    You mean LLVM? Besides, there are at least 4 projects called flang, but they all target LLVM.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post

OpenBSD doesn't have GCC anymore.
    Read a paper just yesterday that said it did on platforms that don't have LLVM support, but yes on AMD64 I think you might be right that base doesn't ship with that ancient GCC version.

Leave a comment:

• brad0

• brad0
    replied
    That is kind of a big deal then! Especially on systems where GCC has been stripped out like FreeBSD or systems rocking an ancient GCC like OpenBSD. Would be better if the Fortran support was fully baked.
    But not really. Flang wouldn't be part of base and it wouldn't be dependent on base GCC anyway.

Leave a comment:

• brad0

• brad0
    replied
    That is kind of a big deal then! Especially on systems where GCC has been stripped out like FreeBSD or systems rocking an ancient GCC like OpenBSD. Would be better if the Fortran support was fully baked.
    OpenBSD doesn't have GCC anymore.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by kvuj View Post
    Flang getting some love is pretty cool, however is it still only a parser? Last time I checked it didn't do compilation and instead threw everything at GCC.

Leave a comment:

• dc_coder_84

• dc_coder_84
    replied
    Does the C++ standard library of Clang++ already make extensive use of concepts? I ask because the Concepts implementation is not complete yet. Also a good question when it will be complete?

https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html

Leave a comment:

• ayumu
    Phoronix Member

• ayumu
    replied
    m68k support is a big deal, and not mentioned in the phoronix article.

Leave a comment:

• rene

• rene
    replied
    yep, updated live on yt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylRLjXMIGQ, tested to work w/ latest Mesa and Rustc ;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X