Fedora's Java Packages Have Fallen Into Rough Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    In the past the options other than Java were not researching into how to fix their performance problems. Like it or not java has got away with these problem of being heavy in memory usage.
    Just pick up the damn manual already. I'm pretty much done talking to you. What I don't get, why can't you believe the system you're referring to has multiple GC implementations with totally different behavior. There are also tons of conguration switches. If the default isn't good enough for you, why not change it? I don't even maintain Java systems anymore, but I know several tricks for tuning the GC. It's not really that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Just pick up the damn manual already. I'm pretty much done talking to you. What I don't get, why can't you believe the system you're referring to has multiple GC implementations with totally different behavior. There are also tons of conguration switches. If the default isn't good enough for you, why not change it? I don't even maintain Java systems anymore, but I know several tricks for tuning the GC. It's not really that hard.
      Does python has had multi threads in fact have multi GC any time in it history. The answer is a horrible yes.

Yes pep-0556 way it was not merged was not increase memory usage. It was absolutely stalled out performance due to GIL.

GIL is the big kernel lock of the Linux kernel class of problem. So areas that should have their own locking in python don't and instead use GIL for it.

The reality is all the different GC in default java result in higher memory usage than python. So this is a case you are still making arguement without understanding what has been done with python. Yes python you can tune the GC as well but you start from a better location.

caligula the reality here I have read the java manual I do maintain them I have tuned them. The reality is you cannot make openjdk jre in fact catch default python in memory usage. So you can tweek the GC with Java all day and still lose. Remember python you can also tune your GC. So python starts off a head you tune java jre to catch up and that tuned to max then you tune pyhton GC and you are left in the dust again.

The reality is work need to happen on java to reduce it memory foot print or java is going to end up uncompetitive. There is work with python to bring the multi process memory down as well.

Comment

Working...
      X