Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Wget2 2.0 Released With HTTP2 & SSL Improvements

Phoronix: GNU Wget2 2.0 Released With HTTP2 & SSL Improvements

GNU Wget2 2.0 has been released for this successor to GNU Wget. There are many improvements to this GPLv3+ licensed program. Over the original GNU Wget, Wget2 is faster, supports more protocols especially around HTTP/2 and compression, supports multi-threading / parallel connections, and other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I don't understand is why to separate wget2 2.0 and not wget 2.0?!
    Does this mean the user needs to install a separate wget2 because wget package doesn't receive the update?
    Like Python 2 vs Python 3. For python, it seems logical to be like that. But for wget to be like that is weird.

Some enlighten me the logic behind this.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
      What I don't understand is why to separate wget2 2.0 and not wget 2.0?!
      Does this mean the user needs to install a separate wget2 because wget package doesn't receive the update?
      Like Python 2 vs Python 3. For python, it seems logical to be like that. But for wget to be like that is weird.

Some enlighten me the logic behind this.
      Because wget2 is NOT a drop-in replacement of wget. The most obvious feature missing is FTP download. They aren't going the route of Chrome / Firefox and they aren't abandoning FTP (thanks to high demand and humble minds https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/3 ) but their decision to release it as "2.0" without FTP support means they have to be separate.

Comment

Many of the command line switches are different as well, some modified to make more sense.

One big I've ran into with wget2 is attempting to download files with a name too long for the local filesystem. Old wget will truncate the name. New wget just fails unless you specify a name, even if you use the option to remove get parameters from the file name.

Comment

Hmm, i still use wget for simple stuff, works even with the BusyBox variant. More complicated stuff is done with curl.
          is there any reason to use wget2 on top?

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            is there any reason to use wget2 on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

No, it is not. Just wait for your doctor to tell you what's new ...

Wget is simply catching up to curl, which had HTTP2 support and many other features for years now.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post

No, it is not. Just wait for your doctor to tell you what's new ...

Wget is simply catching up to curl, which had HTTP2 support and many other features for years now.
                I just tested my 1.21.1 wget, which can actually download files using HTTP2.

So I guess the HTTP2 support here is actually referring to newer version of HTTP2 and support for more compression methods/newer TLS , etc.

Comment

GNU Wget2 2.0 adds HTTP2 uploading
                  Yeah, I've waited for wget to be able to put and post something...

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
                    Yeah, I've waited for wget to be able to put and post something...
                    You wanna get files t(w)o somewhere else. You didn't get that?

Comment

Working...
                    X