No announcement yet.

Oracle's Next-Generation GNU Profiler "gprofng" Is Looking Great For Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle's Next-Generation GNU Profiler "gprofng" Is Looking Great For Developers

Phoronix: Oracle's Next-Generation GNU Profiler "gprofng" Is Looking Great For Developers

Oracle engineers have been working on "gprofng" as a next-generation GNU Profiler that can analyze production binaries. Oracle talked up Gprofng today during the GNU Tools Track as part of Linux Plumbers Conference 2021...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unlike DWARF, a total of 0 minutes were spent on the name gprofng.

Comment

Unlike the original gprof, gprofng is able to profile production binaries that do not need to be built with any special options or still have the source code available. Unmodified executable can be easily analyzed and a wealth of information provided.
      Hmm. This sounds interesting. Have they done any articles or talks on how this works?

Comment

Yeah, the name is seriously next-gen

Comment

ORACLE to customers: Lube up & bend over

ORACLE to employees: Lube up & bend over

Comment

Are the slides from the talk available? I'd love to learn more, but don't have the time to watch the entire talk.

Comment

Never thought I'd see Oracle and GNU in the same phrase. Not unless there was a "lawsuit" thrown in there as well.

Comment

Is Oracle doing something good? Like, for real? I am surprised, and a bit skeptic.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Never thought I'd see Oracle and GNU in the same phrase
                  oracle is one of contributors to gnu compiler collection

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Hmm. This sounds interesting. Have they done any articles or talks on how this works?
                    No idea whether gprofng is based on it, but perf relies on hardware and kernel support for sampling without needing modified binaries either.

Comment

Working...
                    X