Linux Foundation To Host PaSh For Automatic Parallelizing Of Shell Scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Foundation To Host PaSh For Automatic Parallelizing Of Shell Scripts

Phoronix: Linux Foundation To Host PaSh For Automatic Parallelizing Of Shell Scripts

The Linux Foundation announced today they will be hosting the PaSh project that is focused on automatically parallelizing POSIX shell scripts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know if this is so useful, shell scrips are good when they're a few lines long, once you outgrow that maybe it is time to go over to Python instead.

Comment

This seems useful.

I wonder how many people are gonna try this and discover how many non-POSIX Bash or ZSH commands they're using

Comment

ROFL

Post 1: I don't know if this is so useful

Post 2: This seems useful

I'm glad we're all on the same page about this.

Comment

This is a fantastic idea!

Comment

I'll have to look into this. At first glance, it seems like something that would require each subprocess invocation to be annotated with information on whether it has side-effects that need to be observable by later steps.

Comment

It'd be really interesting I bet to look into how they're doing it. My first expectation was that this would be a racey bug-ridden mess. Raw POSIX shell can already be a PITA.

Comment

Wow, now I seen everything. How does the optimizer know side effects of instantiated tools, what are the kinds of use cases?
                I did just generate and run makefiles if I had multiple task, but given how most shell logic is dynamic string expansion, I find this really hard to break up in a good way without specific input.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                  Wow, now I seen everything. How does the optimizer know side effects of instantiated tools, what are the kinds of use cases?
                  I did just generate and run makefiles if I had multiple task, but given how most shell logic is dynamic string expansion, I find this really hard to break up in a good way without specific input.
                  Judging by a quick glance, it uses definition files like TypeScript uses to add type declarations to third-party Javascript.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I don't know if this is so useful ...
                    It probably won't be useful to many, because it will likely not be 100% compatible and will likely only serve itself - and crazy people who refuse to use anything but shell scripts to implement their software.

Most shell scripts, which require parallelisation already use xargs. Then there is GNU Make, which has been used for decades to implement parallelisation around shell commands, not to mention GNU Parallel itself, and distcc, which serve similar purposes. So it is not like one could not already have parallelisation.

Comment

Working...
                    X