Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Java 17 / OpenJDK 17 Hits GA With Maturing Vector API, Removal Planned For Applet API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Degra View Post

What do you mean no Wayland support?
    If you want to use Java for desktop applications, you would use JavaFX, which was removed from Java JDK and is its own package now, and the recent versions of JavaFX do support Wayland.

For Swing and AWT, yeah, these GUI frameworks are part of the JDK and they are kind of legacy / deprecated and don't have and I don't think they will get Wayland support. XWayland is the best they will have.
    Are you sure it does support wayland? I thought, they just fixed, that it will work in XWayland.

Comment

Is there a phoronix benchmark 8 vs 11 vs 17 ?

Comment

One important thing that was missed by this article: Oracle just changed the licensing terms around LTS, they will now go LTS every 2 years, with one year of overlap where the prior LTS is still supported. Note: this change only takes effect with Java 17 and higher. Java 11 is still end-of-support as of today.

That makes the next LTS after 17 to be Java 21, releasing in September 2023.
        Java 17 will still be supported through September 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by browseria View Post
          One important thing that was missed by this article: Oracle just changed the licensing terms around LTS, they will now go LTS every 2 years, with one year of overlap where the prior LTS is still supported. Note: this change only takes effect with Java 17 and higher. Java 11 is still end-of-support as of today.

That makes the next LTS after 17 to be Java 21, releasing in September 2023.
          Java 17 will still be supported through September 2024.
          About that time those still on 8 might have been persuaded to move to Java 11... but not Oracle's version. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post

What do you mean no Wayland support?
            If you want to use Java for desktop applications, you would use JavaFX, which was removed from Java JDK and is its own package now, and the recent versions of JavaFX do support Wayland.

For Swing and AWT, yeah, these GUI frameworks are part of the JDK and they are kind of legacy / deprecated and don't have and I don't think they will get Wayland support. XWayland is the best they will have.
            I could be mistaken but I believe that AWT was based on Motif and Swing is more or less raw Xlib so yeah, no chance of ever moving to Wayland.

Comment

Looking forward to giving it a spin. My company moved onto JDK11 about a year after it was released, but I suspect we'll be a bit faster to start coding in 17.

I know I'll be starting to do some proof-of-concept microservice development with it as soon as I can get it installed on my Ubuntu 20.04-based work laptop.

Comment

Wake me up when Java supports unsigned integers

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r
                  Wake me up when Java supports unsigned integers
                  As always the answer is to just use Kotlin. (or even better, Clojure)

Comment

JEP 381: Remove the Solaris and SPARC Ports

Summary

Remove the source code and build support for the Solaris/SPARC, Solaris/x64, and Linux/SPARC ports. These ports were deprecated for removal in JDK 14 with the express intent to remove them in a future release.
                    Goals
                    • Remove all source code specific to the Solaris operating system
                    • Remove all source code specific to the SPARC architecture
                    • Update documentation and source code comments for future releases
                    Non-Goals

It is not a goal of this JEP to change the status of the affected ports in any prior release. The earliest release to which this JEP could be targeted is JDK 15.
                    Motivation

Many projects and features currently in development such as Valhalla, Loom, and Panama require significant changes to CPU-architecture and operating-system specific code. Dropping support for the Solaris and SPARC ports will enable contributors in the OpenJDK Community to accelerate the development of new features that will move the platform forward.
                    Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      In the meanwhile, everyone still uses Java 8...
                      I still see Java6/7 in production, but it's Japan.

Comment

Working...
                      X