Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Java 17 / OpenJDK 17 Hits GA With Maturing Vector API, Removal Planned For Applet API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    dragon321

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

All Wayland compositors need a standard client API library and will likely get one someday but SDL2 and Gtk3 isn't really quite right for this.
    Something like libwayland-client?

Leave a comment:

• GreenToad

• GreenToad
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Finally Java is getting sealed classes, something that C# have had for at least 6 years, probably longer. I found it mentioned in an article from 2015.
    Actually that's not it, java always had "final" classes that are exactly what c# calls "sealed" classes. What Java calls "sealed" classes c# will be getting as "closed" types

https://github.com/dotnet/csharplang/issues/485

Leave a comment:

• vb_linux
    Phoronix Member

• vb_linux
    replied
    Michael
    Phoronix
    Michael Can we have a GraalVM EE vs GraalVM CE vs Graal Native vs Hotspot comparison?

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

I could be mistaken but I believe that AWT was based on Motif and Swing is more or less raw Xlib so yeah, no chance of ever moving to Wayland.
    Swing could likely be ported. It only uses very little platform specific code just to create a window and draw to it (i.e Win32, Xlib, Cocoa) and then the rest is all custom drawing.

This is why it can never look 100% native but the advantage is it is much more portable than those that wrap underlying toolkits (i.e AWT).

The question is, what would you wrap for a Wayland port? The project is still too young for anything like Xlib. Perhaps they would wrap SDL2 or Gtk3 just to create a window? Gtk moves too much so would be a little fragile.
    All Wayland compositors need a standard client API library and will likely get one someday but SDL2 and Gtk3 isn't really quite right for this.
    kpedersen
    Last edited by kpedersen; 15 September 2021, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• uid313

• uid313
    replied
    Finally Java is getting sealed classes, something that C# have had for at least 6 years, probably longer. I found it mentioned in an article from 2015.

Leave a comment:

• stalkerg

• stalkerg
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    In the meanwhile, everyone still uses Java 8...
    I still see Java6/7 in production, but it's Japan.

Leave a comment:

• Rallos Zek

• Rallos Zek
    replied
    JEP 381: Remove the Solaris and SPARC Ports

Summary

Remove the source code and build support for the Solaris/SPARC, Solaris/x64, and Linux/SPARC ports. These ports were deprecated for removal in JDK 14 with the express intent to remove them in a future release.
    Goals
    • Remove all source code specific to the Solaris operating system
    • Remove all source code specific to the SPARC architecture
    • Update documentation and source code comments for future releases
    Non-Goals

It is not a goal of this JEP to change the status of the affected ports in any prior release. The earliest release to which this JEP could be targeted is JDK 15.
    Motivation

Many projects and features currently in development such as Valhalla, Loom, and Panama require significant changes to CPU-architecture and operating-system specific code. Dropping support for the Solaris and SPARC ports will enable contributors in the OpenJDK Community to accelerate the development of new features that will move the platform forward.
    Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• krzyzowiec

• krzyzowiec
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r
    Wake me up when Java supports unsigned integers
    As always the answer is to just use Kotlin. (or even better, Clojure)

Leave a comment:

• cl333r

• cl333r
    replied
    Wake me up when Java supports unsigned integers

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan

• Veerappan
    replied
    Looking forward to giving it a spin. My company moved onto JDK11 about a year after it was released, but I suspect we'll be a bit faster to start coding in 17.

I know I'll be starting to do some proof-of-concept microservice development with it as soon as I can get it installed on my Ubuntu 20.04-based work laptop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X