The Latest Progress On Rust For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by linner View Post
    Rust code is hardly bulletproof. Just look at the CVE list for software written in Rust.
    Most of those come from the fact that Rust programs generally has a much stricter standard for what constitutes a vulnerability. If you tried to apply that same standard to C, then pretty much every non-trivial program would have hundreds or thousands of active CVEs

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Not to me, I don't want my app to crash at random points at random times at runtime because the borrow checker saw aliased mutability or something.
      Imagine your app crashing at runtime in a plane that is landing or other such scenarios like life support in a hospital.
      That would be bad indeed. Luckily, that's not even close to how the borrow checker works.

Comment

Rust without a working GCC frontend? Google not even bothering to fund GCC-RS to solve this problem???

Sus... ඞ

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
          So? History has shown that the kernel devs are perfectly capable of saying no to Google.
          Call a spade a spade. History has shown that the kernel developers are perfectly capable of saying "$#%$^$%$ OFF!" to Google.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

What is you hardware? It is true that compiling rust can be really resource intensive, probably because how much more the compile keeps track off compared to other langs.
            It's a Dell Inspiron 15 i3 2nd generation 4mb. I'm retired, so I download projects like RetroArh from github and compile them. For the most part, I have no problems, except with projects witten in rust. The last one to die on me was libsrvg. I needed it to compile vscode on freebsd, and that lib would not finish compiling.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Not to me, I don't want my app to crash at random points at random times at runtime because the borrow checker saw aliased mutability or something and judges like: found a black person, he must be in prison unless proven innocent - in the name of security.
              Imagine your app crashing at runtime in a plane that is landing or other such scenarios like life support in a hospital.
              You should try Rust one day instead of talking BS. The borrow checker is static and works at compile time, it doesn't do anything at runtime (and is not linked into the binary)

Comment

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post

It's a Dell Inspiron 15 i3 2nd generation 4mb. I'm retired, so I download projects like RetroArh from github and compile them. For the most part, I have no problems, except with projects witten in rust. The last one to die on me was libsrvg. I needed it to compile vscode on freebsd, and that lib would not finish compiling.
                Wow. To be perfectly honest, unless you mean you're copy-pasting git clone commands from another machine via SSH, I'm surprised that the "download ... from GitHub" part didn't raise more complaints. 4GB is a pretty tight-squeeze for a machine running a web browser these days.

Comment

I used 16 Gb RAM machines since 10 uears. 32 Gb RAM machines are becoming too few to me, I consider switching to 64 Gb / 128 Gb machines in the near future.

Am I a RAM waster? I hate Java apps, they waste too much RAM. Sometimes I'm forced to use them.

I'm amazed about the existence of people still using too tiny RAM size such as 4Gb. How?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    I used 16 Gb RAM machines since 10 uears. 32 Gb RAM machines are becoming too few to me, I consider switching to 64 Gb / 128 Gb machines in the near future.

Am I a RAM waster? I hate Java apps, they waste too much RAM. Sometimes I'm forced to use them.

I'm amazed about the existence of people still using too tiny RAM size such as 4Gb. How?
                    Exactly, RAM is cheap, even my Celeron NAS is running 16GB.

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post

My super old Toshiba , first generation Intel Core was upgraded to 8GB RAM. I get you issues but unfortunately I am pretty sure getting rust compiler on such lower end hardware will be not a a "important thing" for Rust/Kernel devs. And "C works fine" isn't an argument as Rust do much more when compiling and is just a much better lang when you are writing code.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
                      Rust code is hardly bulletproof. Just look at the CVE list for software written in Rust.
                      If you actually bothered to read through the CSV's you will see that the majority of them are basically the equivalent of what would be a warning in C/C++

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                      Really ? Have the actual Linux maintainers requested Rust support in the kernel ? From what I've seen this push seem to be spearheaded by Google.
                      Linus said he is fine to trial Rust in the Kernel to see if it works which is the mature way to approach this. He didn't downright shoot it down like C++ for example

Comment

Working...
                      X