GCC 12 Looking At Enabling Its Vectorizer For "-O2" Optimization Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    most optimizations are not chip-specific. new complier is always better and it's not limited to optimizations
    not necessarily. sometimes it can be shorter execution time and more bugs found in your program at compile time.
    last version in 9 branch is 9.4. i happen to use 9.3 in current project and i found deterministic ice in it(sometimes it ices but succeeds on rerun, but this one required disabling one optimization pass). i.e. 9.3 is definitely bad version
    Thanks. I think the LTS version is getting the backported fixes (gcc-9/focal-updates,focal-security,now 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04), but I'm gonna look into just using the latest and greatest instead. And will run benchmarks and report back. Glad I asked though.

Comment

last version in 9 branch is 9.4. i happen to use 9.3 in current project and i found deterministic ice in it(sometimes it ices but succeeds on rerun, but this one required disabling one optimization pass). i.e. 9.3 is definitely bad version
      And I have found a deterministic ICE in GCC 11.2 (re-discovery) as well as multiple codegen bugs. So this version is also bad. The interesting question is whether there is a newer version that actually fixes the bug. The answer is no in my case, and I can't tell in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
        And I have found a deterministic ICE in GCC 11.2 (re-discovery) as well as multiple codegen bugs. So this version is also bad. The interesting question is whether there is a newer version that actually fixes the bug. The answer is no in my case, and I can't tell in your case.
        my computer runs fedora and fedora contains gcc 11.2.1 with patches from master. rpm is maintained by one of gcc upstream comaintainers. when i had bugs in my gcc, i was submitting them to fedora bugzilla and they were quickly fixed. fedora is the best distro for development

Comment

my computer runs fedora and fedora contains gcc 11.2.1 with patches from master. rpm is maintained by one of gcc upstream comaintainers. when i had bugs in my gcc, i was submitting them to fedora bugzilla and they were quickly fixed. fedora is the best distro for development
          That's all fine, as long as there is a fixed version available. The bugs I'm talking about are open upstream.

Comment

Working...
          X