No announcement yet.

Qt 6.2 LTS Will Nearly Be At Feature Parity To Qt 5.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like how buggy Qt is under Linux...
    Polyphone runs fine on Windows/macOS, yet CRASHES on Linux when creating a new project?!

And users report it crashes on exit too (and sometimes MuseScore and FS-UAE Launcher do too...)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 02 September 2021, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's nothing. By then GNOME will have accomplished so much that they'll be releasing version 572 while GTK will be releasing the first GTK5 into beta.
      At that time GNOME and KDE will be retro thingie for nerds, as Budgie will take over, will cut off from GTK and become ultimate DE.

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

dont need to guess , just follow backlogs : https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/kf6/
        You do know there's a difference between a backlog and a timeline, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post

And why would we want KDE to migrate? KDE is working just fine as is.

I fail to see why Qt6 is going to so much better then Qt5, while at the time Qt5 was the best thing ever and we couldn't wait to migrate from Qt4.
          Because "fine" is not good enough. KDE is full of paper cuts, Wayland support is still full of holes... Qt5 is now in maintenance mode, upstream fixes will come almost exclusively from Qt6 from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Because "fine" is not good enough. KDE is full of paper cuts, Wayland support is still full of holes... Qt5 is now in maintenance mode, upstream fixes will come almost exclusively from Qt6 from now on.
            As a daily user I can say, really it's good enough .. on X11. I don't see how my work will improve from switching to Wayland. And KDE6 will likely initially not have all apps ported and those that are will have new bugs. It can be expected to be less then fine. Maybe not as bad as the initial KDE4, but likely similar to initial KDE5.

Comment

bug77 I am using Plasma on Wayland for a few months now and so far I don't have any issues. The QT version being stuck doesn't matter much as the KDE team can provide function overrides, workarounds and fixes within kde-frameworks. I am running the "testing" packages on Gentoo (~amd64) while using stable versions of Qt and most of the system libraries. No glitches, no crashes, no slowdowns and most importantly, upgrades don't break anything.
              If it has been a while since you gave it a try last time, I suggest having another look soon, preferably with a rolling-release distro. Just avoid KDE Neon, as IMO it's just a showpiece/testing environment, much like GNOME OS.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                bug77 I am using Plasma on Wayland for a few months now and so far I don't have any issues. The QT version being stuck doesn't matter much as the KDE team can provide function overrides, workarounds and fixes within kde-frameworks. I am running the "testing" packages on Gentoo (~amd64) while using stable versions of Qt and most of the system libraries. No glitches, no crashes, no slowdowns and most importantly, upgrades don't break anything.
                If it has been a while since you gave it a try last time, I suggest having another look soon, preferably with a rolling-release distro. Just avoid KDE Neon, as IMO it's just a showpiece/testing environment, much like GNOME OS.
                I don't need to give it another try, the (pretty nasty) bugs I reported haven't seen any action yet. There are a couple of things I want to check out, but I know I can't use Wayland for more than 5 minutes. Mainly because Krunner doesn't work (becomes unresponsive).

Comment

I am using Krunner all the time without any issues. Might be a graphics driver or distro bug.

Comment

As a daily user I can say, really it's good enough .. on X11. I don't see how my work will improve from switching to Wayland. And KDE6 will likely initially not have all apps ported and those that are will have new bugs. It can be expected to be less then fine. Maybe not as bad as the initial KDE4, but likely similar to initial KDE5.
                    KDE Plasma 6 will be a really boring release, nothing like KDE3 to KDE4.

Comment

And why would we want KDE to migrate? KDE is working just fine as is.

I fail to see why Qt6 is going to so much better then Qt5, while at the time Qt5 was the best thing ever and we couldn't wait to migrate from Qt4.
                      Going updating to newer versions of software is sane development practice in order to get the latest bug/security fixes. Relying on old unmaintained software is a deal with devil where you pretty much will always lose in the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X