Git 2.33 Released With New "merge-ort" Merging For 500~9000x Speed-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.33 Released With New "merge-ort" Merging For 500~9000x Speed-Up

Phoronix: Git 2.33 Released With New "merge-ort" Merging For 500~9000x Speed-Up

Git 2.33 is out this evening as the latest stable update to this immensely successful open-source distributed revision control system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Merge-ort for merges in a re-base operation can be a speed-up of over 9000x.

Couldn't resist, huh? ;p

Comment

Damn I had the same idea ...you have been faster

Comment

aint "scratch rewrite" something entirely different that "rewrite from scratch" ?

Comment

How horrible it must've been if there was room for this much improvement? Lol

Comment

As a Git noob and a overall rather dumb guy the most interesting improvements for me would be usability improvements to make it more user-friendly.

I would also like something like that annoying animated gem Microsoft Clippy from old versions of 90s Office that popped up and said something like;
            • Hey it looks like you've got yourself an empty directory, want me to setup a new empty repository for you or clone an existing repository on the interwebs?
            • Hey it looks like you've modified some times, want me to help you commit that for you?
            • Hey it looks like you've got a file that isn't included in the project, want me to include it for you?
            I would also see GitHub officially support GitHub Desktop on Linux, and would like to see improvements to git-gui and gitk.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              As a Git noob and a overall rather dumb guy the most interesting improvements for me would be usability improvements to make it more user-friendly.
              Git is friendly. It's just picky about who it considers to be a friend. 😊.

I would also like something like that annoying animated gem Microsoft Clippy from old versions of 90s Office that popped up...
              Now this part got to be a joke, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
                Git is friendly. It's just picky about who it considers to be a friend. 😊.
                No, Git is not friendly. There is no way to turn it around and twist words, Git is anything but friendly.

Now this part got to be a joke, right?
                Not entirely. It wouldn't have to be a animated gem like Microsoft Clippy, but I really would like to see something very simple and easy to use that would strive to make Git usable for anyone, not just nerds.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  No, Git is not friendly. There is no way to turn it around and twist words, Git is anything but friendly.
                  I'm sorry, but that is in fact subjective.
                  May I ask what specifically you find "unfriendly" or confusing? And compared to what? Perhaps I can help. One thing I do know new users sometimes find confusing is the nomenclature used like "checkout" for both switching to a branch and also restoring staged changes etc. That has in fact been improved in newer versions of git where the command "switch" is now recommended for switching between branches and the command "restore" is now recommended for restoring from changes and staged files.

Not entirely. It wouldn't have to be a animated gem like Microsoft Clippy, but I really would like to see something very simple and easy to use that would strive to make Git usable for anyone, not just nerds.
                  I don't know if a source control management system will ever be used by anyone. Do you have a specific kind of user in mind? I mean git is already used by the vast majority of software developers out there. What other use cases do you have in mind?

Comment

I'm sorry, but that is in fact subjective.
                    May I ask what specifically you find "unfriendly" or confusing? And compared to what? Perhaps I can help. One thing I do know new users sometimes find confusing is the nomenclature used like "checkout" for both switching to a branch and also restoring staged changes etc. That has in fact been improved in newer versions of git where the command "switch" is now recommended for switching between branches and the command "restore" is now recommended for restoring from changes and staged files.
                    Users must know rules such as the Git commit message must have a blank row and be structured so the first line is a subject title, then a blank line, then after that follows the body. The user must know that the body can be long but that title should not exceed XX amount of characters.

Doing simple operations such as creating a commit then pushing it is simple and doing things such as pulling and switching branch. But then there is weird and confusing things like "head", "detached head", "reset", "soft reset", syntax like "HEAD~2", squashing commits, etc. For many of these operations you need to do a chain of like 5 different commands.

I don't know if a source control management system will ever be used by anyone. Do you have a specific kind of user in mind? I mean git is already used by the vast majority of software developers out there. What other use cases do you have in mind?
                    Yeah, I think Git ought to be able to be usable by people who are not software developers. Example maybe there are guys who write technical documentation but are not developers. Maybe even things that has nothing to do with software, such as blogs, wikis, books, novels, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X