Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grep 3.7 Released To Fix "Extreme Performance Degradation"

Phoronix: Grep 3.7 Released To Fix "Extreme Performance Degradation"

If you have noticed grep regressing performance-wise in recent releases, you may want to upgrade to GNU Grep 3.7 released this weekend as it fixes a nasty performance regression...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you have noticed grep regressing performance-wise in recent releases
    I'll take "things only Michael Larabel notices" for $500, Alex

Comment

There is also ripgrep, a grep tool written in Rust that is supposedly really fast.
      ripgrep recursively searches directories for a regex pattern while respecting your gitignore - GitHub - BurntSushi/ripgrep: ripgrep recursively searches directories for a regex pattern while respecting your gitignore

Comment

I wonder if there are Gnu Grep alternatives.

I wonder if there's a Grep equivalent for non-textual data.

EDIT: I just found this

Binary Grep. Contribute to clayne/bgrep development by creating an account on GitHub.

In the previous article, I showed how to use the grep command, which is great at finding text files that contain a string or pattern. The idea of directly searching in a “grep-like” way is so useful that there are additional commands to let you search right into PDF documents and handle XML files more …

ngrep, etc.
        Last edited by timofonic; 15 August 2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

rip grep

Comment

Ubuntu 20.04 is still using v3.1 and the issue started in v3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              There is also ripgrep, a grep tool written in Rust that is supposedly really fast.
              Can you tell me why you thought it's worth mentioning that it's written in Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

Can you tell me why you thought it's worth mentioning that it's written in Rust?
                No, I can't, but maybe that is why it's so fast? You know a core concept of Rust is fearless concurrency, oh and zero-cost abstractions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  Because Rust is changing the world with better software!

/s

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post

Because Rust is changing the world with better software!

/s
                    In C/C++ something is correct when someone can use it correctly, but in Rust something is correct when someone can't use it incorrectly.

Comment

Working...
                    X