Git 2.33 Is On The Way With An Assortment Of Fixes, Updated Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.33 Is On The Way With An Assortment Of Fixes, Updated Documentation

Phoronix: Git 2.33 Is On The Way With An Assortment Of Fixes, Updated Documentation

Monday marked the release of Git 2.33-rc0 as the first test release of the next version of this distributed revision control system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More wokist insanity incoming, these people need to go outside more.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
      More wokist insanity incoming, these people need to go outside more.
      Even though I am aware this may lead to the thread going off-topic, I totally agree with you.
      As a non-native English speaker, this only complicates things for me.
      Last edited by tildearrow; 03 August 2021, 01:27 PM. Reason: damn it I am drunk!

Comment

Yeah, USA and wokism is batshit insane. When I read an article where a single person is referenced to as "they" it makes it very confusing and difficult for me to follow, because "they" is plural.

As for Git I would like it to be more easy to use, maybe something like Microsoft Clippy in old Microsoft Office that says "Hey it looks like edited some code, do you want to commit that?" to make it as easy as possible and make it easy to use Git even for non-technical people. Git might be technically very good, but it is a nightmare when it comes to being user friendly.

Comment

I respect each project to choose their own type of speech that they allow in their projects as long as it's something that is decided by the entire project and not just a small group of people.

If the reader does not consider that pronoun to apply to them, then they can experience cognitive dissonance that removes focus from the information.
          The changes might have good intentions but the arguments are one-sided. I would like to be considerate of all people but this is not the best way IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Even though I am aware this may lead to the thread going off-topic, I totally agree with you.
            Alice and Bob are now considered foul words just because they are names? I don't know how is this a crime. Come on, it's a damn example.
            No. Words like man, woman, he, and she are the foul words just because they might offend someone who identifies as anywhere in between. Basically, anytime you need to use he or she you replace it with it, they, those people, that person because you never know.

For example, I could say that "Michael is a great guy" without knowing that in 12 years it'll transition into its identity and next thing you know I'm a bigot for saying it was a great guy at a time when it was an actual guy. How TF was I supposed to know?

Comment

Alice and Bob are now considered foul words just because they are names? I don't know how is this a crime. Come on, it's a damn example.
              Most of the world is non-native english speaking, myself included, but considering that it's not that hard, we can just learn to communicate in a more inclusive way.

We pride ourselves on being able to learn and master complexity, but can't handle a small change in the language? Are we serious?

Will these changes alone lead to a more inclusive world? Of course not.
              Will it hurt to be more respectful to people who by the way are asking to be respected? I don't think so

Comment

No, they are not considered foul words. The Guideline says:

There are acceptable existing uses of gendered pronouns within the Git codebase, such as:
                [...]
                * References to fictional people with clear genders (e.g. Alice and Bob).
                The example of Alice and Bob are explicitly listed as not being a problem. Whatever our opinion on this issue, let's not create controversy when there is none.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Most of the world is non-native english speaking, myself included, but considering that it's not that hard, we can just learn to communicate in a more inclusive way.

We pride ourselves on being able to learn and master complexity, but can't handle a small change in the language? Are we serious?

Will these changes alone lead to a more inclusive world? Of course not.
                  Will it hurt to be more respectful to people who by the way are asking to be respected? I don't think so
                  I am more than capable of mastering complexities, but I am not interested in mastering foolishness. If someone takes exceptions to names like Alice and Bob then that person really needs to seek medical help and stop dragging down the rest of society. Remember, respect must go both ways, and asking the whole world to go through mental gymnastics because using proper names can possibly offend someone is not being respectful of others as well.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

No. Words like man, woman, he, and she are the foul words just because they might offend someone who identifies as anywhere in between. Basically, anytime you need to use he or she you replace it with it, they, those people, that person because you never know.

For example, I could say that "Michael is a great guy" without knowing that in 12 years it'll transition into its identity and next thing you know I'm a bigot for saying it was a great guy at a time when it was an actual guy. How TF was I supposed to know?
                    We should not try to please everyone out there.

Besides: this only applies to the English language. There are plenty of languages where there is no (short) alternative like ‘they’ (including my mother tongue).
                    Last edited by Vistaus; 03 August 2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X