Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Foundation Launches Open 3D Foundation, Amazon Lumberyard Spun As Open 3D Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

The license is probably needlessly complex (always is with games companies). However since CryEngine is also now open-source, it is likely to be fine.
    Which open source license does CryEngine use?

Comment

OFF TOPIC:

Audacity is receiving flak for changing in the terms of data collecting. While cries for a fork are being heard, they released a update on their announcement and looks like they will do what Mozilla does with Firefox: they will collect and share data, but disguise it with nice words.

A quick statement to address the concerns around our new Privacy Policy. We believe concerns are due largely to unclear phrasing in the Privacy Policy, which we are now in the process of rectifying...

EDIT: That escalated quickly... there are two forks already... Audacium and Sneedacity.
      Last edited by M@GOid; 06 July 2021, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        OFF TOPIC:

Audacity is receiving flak for changing in the terms of data collecting. While cries for a fork are being heard, they released a update on their announcement and looks like they will do what Mozilla does with Firefox: they will collect and share data, but disguise it with nice words.

https://github.com/audacity/audacity/discussions/1225
        Did you really need to go and do that? Did you? lol.

We might as well talk about outer space now. You get minus two stars.
        Last edited by ix900; 06 July 2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
          "Yep, so far this Open 3D Engine effort backed by the Linux Foundation so far requires Microsoft Windows and Visual Studio..."

Really W T F !?
          "Linux Foundation"

This says everithing. These guys uses MacOS instead Linux, dude.

Comment

Upon quick code inspection, editor is written in The Right Toolkit - Qt. There also many Linux bits here and there, uses pure CMake which is already better than that abomination of buildsystem in Unreal Engine.
            I think official Linux support should arrive soon.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I assume by "it" you mean Godot. IMHO, it's the presence of the Linux Foundation backing O3DE that will have an effect on Godot, not the program itself (at least in the short term). Not to mention all the backing and logos of major companies like AWS, Adobe, and Intel on their site "adds to its credibility". Godot has neither the corporate nor open source branding and backing that this already has (not trying to denigrate the sponsors they have). That secondary presence will effect people and decisions more than technical merits of the programs themselves.
              No, I mean that the presence or absence of O3DE has no effect on Blender, because Blender isn't in competition with game engines the way Godot is. You might as well mention GIMP and every other tool one might or might not use in concert with the game engine O3DE is competing with.

Comment

Always some people to complain.
                There is a AAA game engine that gets to be open sourced, and all some can do is to criticize.
                Yeah it's for Windows for now, but maybe give them a few months to make the editor linux compatible.
                And you can contribute to the linux port to make that faster if it's such an issue in your life.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

No, I mean that the presence or absence of O3DE has no effect on Blender, because Blender isn't in competition with game engines the way Godot is. You might as well mention GIMP and every other tool one might or might not use in concert with the game engine O3DE is competing with.
                  I get that. I've just seen Blender suggested over the years in regards to making 3D Godot elements so I took that comment to mean using them hand-in-hand.

Comment

Personally, I am more interested in the Linux-client status of the CryEngine/Lumberyard fork known as StarEngine. At least there is actually a game being made with that one.

I saw many instances of the word 'cloud' on the o3d page. They should have been more specific and said 'AWS'. But the main issue is very few games need such infrastructure. I do not see the value of backing this project versus backing the capable team at Godot who will probably match Lumberyard in a few years and certainly would with the kind of sponsorship this project has gotten. i.e. if the Linux Foundation was concerned about open 3D game engines, why didn't they back Godot?

Comment

Godot IMO has far more potential than this new engine does. Don't get me wrong, always glad to see proprietary licensing becoming open licensing, but IMO anyvody considering an actually Open game engine. should think about godot, while it's still missing some major features. (IE. Vulkan). it is also increadibly flexible. as seen by some madlads making a full VR window manager using it and wlroots.

and while not great now (but still good), I think it has the most potential longterm

Comment

Working...
                      X