Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Foundation Launches Open 3D Foundation, Amazon Lumberyard Spun As Open 3D Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Blender hasn't been an option for a while.
    I think they meant using Blender for doing 3d work that's going to be used in Godot.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I think they meant using Blender for doing 3d work that's going to be used in Godot.
      ...OK. Still seems a weird interpretation, given that the presence or absence of O3DE has no effect on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

...OK. Still seems a weird interpretation, given that the presence or absence of O3DE has no effect on it.
        I assume by "it" you mean Godot. IMHO, it's the presence of the Linux Foundation backing O3DE that will have an effect on Godot, not the program itself (at least in the short term). Not to mention all the backing and logos of major companies like AWS, Adobe, and Intel on their site "adds to its credibility". Godot has neither the corporate nor open source branding and backing that this already has (not trying to denigrate the sponsors they have). That secondary presence will effect people and decisions more than technical merits of the programs themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Perfectly reasonable considering it was just open sourced and Linux Foundation backing it doesn't change that technical requirement. If others are interested in fixing that, they can now submit pull requests.
          They've already got Linux pieces on the roadmap. It's going to take some time, obviously, but there's no reason the LF would start this up if it wasn't going to be agnosticized down the line.

Open 3D Engine (O3DE) is an Apache 2.0-licensed multi-platform 3D engine that enables developers and content creators to build AAA games, cinema-quality 3D worlds, and high-fidelity simulations wit...

Cheers,
          Mike

Comment

OK, when did Amazon ever become a game studio? I may understand their game streaming services, but...

Comment

"Linux" Foundation is now an incubator for projects nobody wants. Amazon wants free labor, but don't even bother porting the thing to Linux.

And some people here is saying that is now a job for the community to port this garbage for Linux, really?
              Last edited by evasb; 06 July 2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
                "Linux" Foundation is now an incubator for projects nobody wants. Amazon wants free labor, but don't even bother porting the thing to Linux.

And some people here is saying that is now a job for the community to port this garbage for Linux, really?
                Yes but only for people who are interested in it in contributing to the existing work in progress effort. That's how volunteer contributors are driven. To claim that an active project with commits from a few hours ago is something that nobody wants is clearly untrue.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  OK, when did Amazon ever become a game studio?

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  AFAIK, Lumberyard was made to sell Amazon cloud services.
                  Well, at least some of it was inherited from when they bought the game studio Double Helix:

Last edited by coder; 06 July 2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    OK, when did Amazon ever become a game studio? I may understand their game streaming services, but...
                    Amazon wanted to be a game studio so they created the game New World. There was a story about it, they hired some top talent team lead and the project went terrible, they did everything wrong, everybody on the team hated to work.
                    There is a good post about it on Slashdot.
                    I have kind of a unique view of Amazon Game Studios: I have good friends (former coworkers) who were working on Crucible for years, and I personally was involved with Intensity and another project (Sculpin) as an art outsource contracting manager (I ran the art team tasks day-to-day and was the US p...

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
                      "Yep, so far this Open 3D Engine effort backed by the Linux Foundation so far requires Microsoft Windows and Visual Studio..."

Really W T F !?
                      But isn't supported by Microsoft.

Comment

Working...
                      X