No announcement yet.

Google Wants To See Rust Code In The Linux Kernel, Contracts The Main Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once the infrastructure is there, I'll be using it. Love the Rust experience in userspace.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
      What about one more developer for https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs? Rust's portability is a joke.
      See also https://github.com/antoyo/rustc_codegen_gcc which is a much better bet to get Rust on the niche archs that only gcc supports.

I'm not sure what counts as a joke to you, but Rust compiles to all the targets "normal users" encounter on a daily basis, and the gaps are getting filled.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        A little strange Google wants to support a Mozilla language, when they have Go.
        Because there is no entity "google". There are people with personal preferences.
        (Besides the fact that go is not necessarily a language for system programming)

Comment

Originally posted by moltonel View Post

all the targets "normal users" encounter on a daily basis
          So Windows on Intel then.

I like to think that FOSS tries a little harder than that.

Comment

Is anybody concerned about bloating up the toolchain needed to compile the kernel by tossing Rust in too?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Perhaps also they feel if they can just squeeze one non-C language in there, it will become a free for all and open it up for all the rest of their volatile "offerings".
              Sooner or later someone is going to call for language criticism or any other *cism towards lack of diversity and start another me too movement. AdTube, Fetchbook, Gurgle and the rest of the propaganda machinery will happily fuel the fire that those people tend to start.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                Is anybody concerned about bloating up the toolchain needed to compile the kernel by tossing Rust in too?
                Google already use clang/llvm for linux which is not exactly lightweight but I think the main concern here is the time required to build rust modules.

Comment

Google should better also sponsor the rust on gcc project because no one will use their fancy rust kernel modules if it can only be compiled with the weird low level virtual machine trash compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    A little strange Google wants to support a Mozilla language, when they have Go.
                    I eventually realized this the exchange deal between G & M to make Firefox just a mere figure on the web browsers stage...

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                      it does feel like the motivation for this is more geared towards Rust being the hot new thing,
                      Tbh, 2 months ago I was a C/C++/Python Fanboy and I thought the same. In the meantime I started one sample project, after that a bigger project in rust, just to try it out. Now I am a rust fanboy and like to use it everywhere it makes sence to use it.

Comment

Working...
                      X