X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skum
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

I yet have to find an embedded product with an 18 year life cycle. But clearly, I could imagine there is some infrastructure stuff (power plant?) that could be affected.
    Within the automation industry, where embedded Linux is quite common, 18 year life cycle is not long. Machines often run for decades.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post
    I yet have to find an embedded product with an 18 year life cycle. But clearly, I could imagine there is some infrastructure stuff (power plant?) that could be affected.

Civil Infrastructure has a life cycle from 10 to 60 years. Power plants are 20-60 year things so 18 year life cycle is getting a little short for them. Traffic light control systems the controllers have roughly 15 year life span that could go out to 25 years if lucky. Then there are items like elevators some of those are running 100year old + controllers so new ones of those can exceed the 18 year life cycle very simply.

Most of these forms of embedded products that have a life cycle exceeding 18 years are ones that if they malfunction can kill people so kind of serous to fix this stuff early.

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    [...] but particularly on the embedded front it remains to be seen how many systems/hardware will be updated by the vendor to the mitigate the issue.

Leave a comment:

• krzyzowiec
    replied
    The more I study time in computing, the more I realize it’s the trickiest thing to deal with, even worse than naming things.

Leave a comment:

• GNU C Library Lands Year 2038 Handling For Legacy ABIs

Phoronix: GNU C Library Lands Year 2038 Handling For Legacy ABIs

The GNU C Library (Glibc) saw another batch of Year 2038 "Y2038" preparations on Tuesday for the Unix timestamp for when the time since 1 January 1970 can no longer be stored in a signed 32-bit integer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X