X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Sure, OS/2 as a base is quite old, but ArcaOS is keeping the dream alive, so if they want to save money, they can easily switch to Arca.

But yeah, that old stuff is used for decades sometimes sometimes. The Dutch IRS is still using quite a few computers from the late 80's and early 90's. They don't want to replace them, but they also have trouble finding someone trained to support those PC's, but at least they are still running (for now).
    That's the point exactly. That stuff is used for decades and that there need to be operating systems designed for that now. That 20 years later hardware won't be exotic and hard to find. Luckily there are projects to keep old operating systems alive and ones that aim to fix that problem like CIP.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

This is a use case for a micro controller or a bare-metal system, I assumed. Do they really run embedded linux?
    Doesnt just need to be those systems. It could also be the systems managing those systems.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied

I yet have to find an embedded product with an 18 year life cycle. But clearly, I could imagine there is some infrastructure stuff (power plant?) that could be affected.
    it doesnt just have to be "live" time.

For something that will use time eg to log predictable maintenance, you will be hit much earlier. Imagine a criticial piece of infrastructure marking essential repairs for 2038 or later due to a part needing replacing every 15 years. there could be thousands of such parts with different replace/repair times and they could be managed by Boeing. You wouldnt want that.

There were some financial systems hit in 2018 because they used to forecast up to 20 years ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

NY Subways used to run on OS/2. That started in 1993 and is just now being phased out.
    Sure, OS/2 as a base is quite old, but ArcaOS is keeping the dream alive, so if they want to save money, they can easily switch to Arca.

But yeah, that old stuff is used for decades sometimes sometimes. The Dutch IRS is still using quite a few computers from the late 80's and early 90's. They don't want to replace them, but they also have trouble finding someone trained to support those PC's, but at least they are still running (for now).

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    I would have assumed something like FreeRTOS would be the tool of choice for this applications.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    This is a use case for a micro controller or a bare-metal system, I assumed. Do they really run embedded linux?

Yes you do fine elevators with Linux and traffic lights controllers with Linux do exist. Do note 32 bit micro-controller running Linux the current builds here.

Of course not elevators and traffic lights use Linux but quite a few do.

Elevators the core is normally bare metal logic but the remote control system is Linux based. Just think about the fun if that elevators remote control computer goes stupid due to date issue so that elevator takes you to the top floor and refuses to go anywhere else.

Traffic lights system depend on the design some of them it is possible if the Linux OS screws up to result all green lights in all directions that is not very safe because some of those are fully linux embedded controlled..

Please note this is only the tip of a very big list of hardware. The usage concept of internet of things is a lot bigger than what most people think and can be a lot more dangerous.

Yes full blown network stack is absolutely common in these things. So running traffic lights with a remote webpage for configuration and alteration of the system is not unheard of same with elevator systems.

Leave a comment:

• Skum
    replied

You wouldn't believe how much stuff in the end runs some embedded Linux. All kinds of equipment (SD cards with WIFI). Microcontroller/bare-metal systems usually require a deeper knowledge of the actual hardware, and instead the manufacturers buy PLCs of whatever sort, which in many cases end up running some Linux under the hood (or of course some RTOS). Just the ease of having a full fledged network stack, is usually a good reason to use Linux.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

NY Subways used to run on OS/2. That started in 1993 and is just now being phased out.

That just goes to show that the SLTS kernel and an SLTS distribution isn't a bad idea. And we thought Debian was old

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Traffic light control systems the controllers have roughly 15 year life span that could go out to 25 years if lucky. Then there are items like elevators some of those are running 100year old + controllers so new ones of those can exceed the 18 year life cycle very simply.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Skum View Post
    Within the automation industry, where embedded Linux is quite common, 18 year life cycle is not long. Machines often run for decades.
    This is also another case where if their controller goes stupid the result could be dead people. The stuff exceeding 18 years is mostly the more dangerous stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X