Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU C Library Looking To Drop FSF Copyright Assignment Policy

Phoronix: GNU C Library Looking To Drop FSF Copyright Assignment Policy

The GCC compiler has long had a requirement that all contributors assign their copyright to the Free Software Foundation. Recently GCC dropped that copyright assignment policy and now the GNU C Library is looking at making a similar move...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good. The less Stallmanism, the better.

https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/lib.../msg00000.html
    https://www.informit.com/articles/ar...aspx?p=1390172
    The Linux FoundationEmbedded Linux Conference 2013Toybox: Writing a New Command Line From ScratchBy Rob LandleySan Francisco, CaliforniaThis panel explains w...

Rob Landley is the creator of toybox (the tool that replaced busybox inside Android and tends to come to the Linux distributions), one of the men who work on...
    Last edited by anarki2; 15 June 2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I'm not a software developer, so my opinion on the matter doesn't count. But I'm curious, why this bother some people? Personally, if I'm giving away my code "for free", why should I get upset about this?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        I'm not a software developer, so my opinion on the matter doesn't count. But I'm curious, why this bother some people? Personally, if I'm giving away my code "for free", why should I get upset about this?
        The problem arose around GPLv3, which a lot of contributors weren't on board with; centralized copyright assignment made it possible for a "project" to switch to GPLv3 even when that project's community wouldn't want it.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          You only get a promise in return, that the FSF is not going after you, if you use your own code elsewhere. Because its not your code anymore.

I am giving away my code for free for anyone to use, then I'd pick MIT/BSD or public domain, certainly not GPL.

Comment

First they kick out the man who made all of this possible now they shitting on his life achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
              You only get a promise in return, that the FSF is not going after you, if you use your own code elsewhere. Because its not your code anymore.

I am giving away my code for free for anyone to use, then I'd pick MIT/BSD or public domain, certainly not GPL.
              does exist a public domain license? Would you please share a link if you know it?

Comment

To be fair, GPL != FSF statement.

GPL doesn’t give away your code, but requires anyone who modifies your code also opensource them under GPL.

The copy right still belongs to you.

FSF statement however, gives the copy right away to FSF.

IDK why they apply this statement anyway, since any entity can accuse other if they infringed the use of the GPL by not open sourcing their modified codebase.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

does exist a public domain license? Would you please share a link if you know it?

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X