Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNU C Library Looking To Drop FSF Copyright Assignment Policy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNU C Library Looking To Drop FSF Copyright Assignment Policy

    Phoronix: GNU C Library Looking To Drop FSF Copyright Assignment Policy

    The GCC compiler has long had a requirement that all contributors assign their copyright to the Free Software Foundation. Recently GCC dropped that copyright assignment policy and now the GNU C Library is looking at making a similar move...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ght-Assignment

  • #2
    Good. The less Stallmanism, the better.

    https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/lib.../msg00000.html
    https://www.informit.com/articles/ar...aspx?p=1390172
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGmtP5Lg_t0&t=910s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7kk-_uuRFc&t=1459s
    Last edited by anarki2; 15 June 2021, 08:54 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not a software developer, so my opinion on the matter doesn't count. But I'm curious, why this bother some people? Personally, if I'm giving away my code "for free", why should I get upset about this?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        I'm not a software developer, so my opinion on the matter doesn't count. But I'm curious, why this bother some people? Personally, if I'm giving away my code "for free", why should I get upset about this?
        The problem arose around GPLv3, which a lot of contributors weren't on board with; centralized copyright assignment made it possible for a "project" to switch to GPLv3 even when that project's community wouldn't want it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          I'm not a software developer, so my opinion on the matter doesn't count. But I'm curious, why this bother some people? Personally, if I'm giving away my code "for free", why should I get upset about this?
          You only get a promise in return, that the FSF is not going after you, if you use your own code elsewhere. Because its not your code anymore.

          I am giving away my code for free for anyone to use, then I'd pick MIT/BSD or public domain, certainly not GPL.

          Comment


          • #6
            First they kick out the man who made all of this possible now they shitting on his life achievement.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by discordian View Post
              You only get a promise in return, that the FSF is not going after you, if you use your own code elsewhere. Because its not your code anymore.

              I am giving away my code for free for anyone to use, then I'd pick MIT/BSD or public domain, certainly not GPL.
              does exist a public domain license? Would you please share a link if you know it?

              Comment


              • #8
                You only get a promise in return, that the FSF is not going after you, if you use your own code elsewhere. Because its not your code anymore.

                I am giving away my code for free for anyone to use, then I'd pick MIT/BSD or public domain, certainly not GPL.
                To be fair, GPL != FSF statement.

                GPL doesn’t give away your code, but requires anyone who modifies your code also opensource them under GPL.

                The copy right still belongs to you.

                FSF statement however, gives the copy right away to FSF.

                IDK why they apply this statement anyway, since any entity can accuse other if they infringed the use of the GPL by not open sourcing their modified codebase.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

                  does exist a public domain license? Would you please share a link if you know it?
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public...valent_license

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X