Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt Multimedia Prepares For Qt 6 With Rewritten GStreamer Backend, Other Big Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my first computer was Macintosh SE with 1 mb ram 20mb hdd single (800 KB not hd ) floppy disk drive

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Aside from GNOME3, GTK3, and Wayland I've been pretty happy this past decade. Sorry not sorry, but I still haven't had a good Wayland experience and I'll never get over what they did to GNOME and GTK versions 3.
      • ZFS on Linux
      • KDE Plasma
      • no more ATI Catalyst
      • AMDGPU came out
      • Vulkan
      • Steam Linux
      • D9VK
      • DXVK
      • GalliumNine
      • Wine
      • RetroArch
      • Zstd
      • Lots of File System improvements across the board

Aside from Nouveau and Nvidia Firmware it's been an awesome decade if you're a Linux Gamer. And there is a lot more I'm missing and can't think of because it's early and I'm only a few sips into my coffee.
      That basically everything in existence has an corresponding python library which will cut code effort by a couple orders of magnitude deserves a mention.

Comment

I'm annoyed with Qt. They totally screwed over OSS. They stop offering updates to LTS releases saying "oh just use the latest version... By the way, the latest version doesn't work."

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Aside from GNOME3, GTK3, and Wayland I've been pretty happy this past decade. Sorry not sorry, but I still haven't had a good Wayland experience and I'll never get over what they did to GNOME and GTK versions 3.
          • ZFS on Linux
          • KDE Plasma
          • no more ATI Catalyst
          • AMDGPU came out
          • Vulkan
          • Steam Linux
          • D9VK
          • DXVK
          • GalliumNine
          • Wine
          • RetroArch
          • Zstd
          • Lots of File System improvements across the board

Aside from Nouveau and Nvidia Firmware it's been an awesome decade if you're a Linux Gamer. And there is a lot more I'm missing and can't think of because it's early and I'm only a few sips into my coffee.
          All of the backwards compatibility we got thanks to Flatpack, emulators, Wine, etc. is insane. It sucks Wayland isn't working for you yet. I know it's buggier but the scaling on Wayland is so far superior to X.org; I would rather take the bugs on Wayland...

Originally posted by poncho524 View Post
          I'm annoyed with Qt. They totally screwed over OSS. They stop offering updates to LTS releases saying "oh just use the latest version... By the way, the latest version doesn't work."
          I do understand your frustration; I really do. How desperate are they in need of money if they cannot give away a point release of a point release for free? My guess is they are just going the CentOS Stream route and trying to force free users on to the next version as early as possible so free users beta test for the paid users.

Also I would also like to point out: Who else uses the entire Qt stack the way KDE developers do? If KDE's version of Qt 5.13.3 works for them, it should work for any project.

edit: I apologize for replying in an older thread. I forgot a clicked on a link in the article to get to this specific thread.
          Last edited by CTown; 07 June 2021, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X