Zstd 1.5 Released With Big Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    And sorry, for some reasons people believe you must be an expert in the field to criticise something - that's a falsehood and it has been debunked a billion of times already. So, I will continue to criticise Wayland because of its flawed design. Over the past couple of weeks a number of Phoronix users have admitted that even Gnome under Wayland doesn't work perfectly and has its quirks. That's unacceptable for any product which is shoved down people's throats.
    And it is not falsehood to assign blame you are not competent to assign?

Is the problem with wayland, or with gnome, or is it with 3rd party software that relies on an ancient relic, sloppily shoehorned time and time again to serve an increasing amount of purposes, which is one of the utmost hallmarks of bad design.

If for some reason, the wheel was invented to be a triangle, and as a product, all roads were jagged to be complimentary to the wheels as to produce a smoother ride, and someone invented a round wheel, that happened to work poorly on jagged roads, does that really make the round wheel a bad idea?

And sure, you don't have to be an expert to criticize something. But there is quite a difference between "expert" and "clueless on the topic and also bad at basic general reasoning".
    Last edited by ddriver; 14 May 2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

ddriver

"clueless"

You continue to attack me personally and never quote a single wrong thing I've said about Wayland which makes you a buffoon. Have a nice day. Over and out.

Comment

Also, I've never shilled for any corporation, so please gently bugger off. If you dare to disagree, please quote me.

It's astonishing how much ungrateful scum we have here.
        YOU. HAVE.

LOOK HERE.

Ah, a news piece with NVIDIA in it.

Let's have a dozen petty no-namers crapping on a successful multibillion dollars corporation.

I keep hearing that over and over except when RTX/DLSS are properly implemented they work beautifully:

AMD fans are a curious kind of people. Whenever NVIDIA invents something, it's a "gimmick", it "slows down everything", it doesn't make picture quality better.

Meanwhile NVIDIA invented and first implemented in HW:
        • programmable shaders (now used by 99.9% of 3D games)
        • tesselation (now used by absolute most triple-A titles)
        • real time ray tracing (to become common once the new Xbox and PS get released).
        And a lot more. NVIDIA -works (hair, grass, etc) were also panned to no end until AMD released GPUs which could handle them properly and nowadays no one really remembers the whole issue.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

AMD implemented tessellation in hardware before NVIDIA.

And here's a nice chart of how AMD has turned in Intel/NVIDIA. Many 10th generation Intel CPUs are better in terms of value per dollar than AMD offerings - not to mention they come with a stock cooler (which only the 5600X has) and have an iGPU while AMD requires a discrete GPU.

Pitchforks for Intel have turned into but "AMD is the fastest so they can rip us off because we are all of it!" Yeah, I'm a troll if stating facts is trolling.

Maybe people should stop thinking of AMD as an underdog and start realizing nothing monopolistic is alien to it.
        Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You do realize it is better to have higher numbers on that graph than lower ones? LOL

You thought I didn't? The three Ryzen 5000 CPUs in the chart are among the worst in terms of value per dollar.
        Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
        Still better, than competing Intel parts. Which means you are writing a nonsense about being worse than Intel.
        There you go. Need more proof?

Enough of these discussions centered on you.
        The last few threads have been about you, and little about the actual topic. Enough already.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 14 May 2021, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          1. How's me being wrong about who implemented tesselation first makes me "an NVIDIA shill"? Are you OK? OK, I was wrong and I gladly accept that. In fact if I remember correctly even in the quoted thread I already apologized for being incorrect but it was a long time ago. Unlike some open source fans here I easily admit when I'm wrong.

2. Upon release the Ryzen 5000 CPUs were among the worst in terms of performance per dollar. Nothing I lied about or exaggerated.

Many 10th generation Intel CPUs are better in terms of value per dollar than AMD offerings - not to mention they come with a stock cooler (which only the 5600X has) and have an iGPU while AMD requires a discrete GPU.

This statement was completely honest and factual, again check the link above.

So, that only makes tesselation the wrong statement out of everything? OMG.

Lastly, NVIDIA was the first to implement really fast DirectX tesselation implementation in the GTX 400 series. And, while I was wrong about tesselation (you've actually provided no proofs), it actually started to be widely implemented in games many years later and NVIDIA actually kick-started it (sometimes very unfairly so). You see, I remember the very questionable in terms of competiteness crap NVIDIA has been involved in.

I hope everyone's happy now as all my statements are with serious proofs. Next time I'll do exactly that, because I'm tired of all the crap being

And while everyone here loves to suck AMD's dick, let me remind you that Mantle was a proprietary API which AMD did not share with anyone else. Also, AMD withholds the documentation about their CPUs, so under Linux you get this:

Code:
          sensors
          k10temp-pci-00c3
          Adapter: PCI adapter
          Tctl:         +35.2°C  
          Tdie:         +35.2°C  
          Tccd1:        +34.8°C
          While HWiNFO64 shows at least three dozen parameters for the same Ryzen 3700X in my system (OMG I own an AMD system, an Intel shill for that matter).
          Last edited by birdie; 14 May 2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Folks, please keep this thread on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by terrelln View Post

zstd-1.4.10 is pretty similar to zstd-1.5.0, but once that patch series gets merged, I intended to keep zstd in the kernel up to date with every upstream release. So zstd-1.5.0 will follow shortly behind.

I talked with the ZFS on linux developers a while back. For now, they will continue using their own version. But, once zstd in the kernel is updated, and exposes the upstream API, they may consider sharing it. No promises though.
              Frankly, from an end user's POV I'm just glad the in-kernel implementation is leaving 1.3.something. There were some pretty good improvements with 1.4 and subsequent updates....but why am I telling you that

But trying to keep it up-to-date from here on out -- many thanks, many thanks indeed.

You know, I'm surprised no one has jumped on the SSE2 part of the 1.5 update; some WTF about how their Pentium 3 is still going strong

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Folks, please keep this thread on topic.
                Thank birdie for derailing the thread into his typical act.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Thank birdie for derailing the thread into his typical act.
                  Sure, though I was a little sarcastic and trolling since I started the off topic that birdie joined.

Comment

Zstd 1.5 improves the middle-level compression speed...

This reminds me of the highly inappropriate, but funny to my simple brain, part of HBO's Silicon Valley. Middle-out compression https://youtu.be/Ex1JuIN0eaA

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      I just don't see why it's called Zstd, where's the Facebook in it? Why not FckStd?
                      Z for zip? The letter Z is always associated with compression (xz, 7z, xz, gz etc)

Comment

Working...
                      X