Zstd 1.5 Released With Big Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    I just don't see why it's called Zstd, where's the Facebook in it? Why not FckStd?
    HA HA HA SO FUNNY. A corporation developed a really nice fast and efficient free software compressor for Linux and this is how you're thanking them? Amazing people we have here on Phoronix.

What are your contributions to Open Source again? I'm all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      First show me yours, not to mention you bitch all the time about Wayland being a piece of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post

I'm using pf-kernel on Archlinux which already includes 1.4.10 version: https://gitlab.com/post-factum/pf-kernel/-/tags

All my partitions are Btrfs and compressed, and it has been running stable for the last two weeks.
        Which may or may not be Zstd 1.5. Zstd releases go from 1.4.9 to 1.5. There is no 1.4.10 release, but the patch release notes say:

I have not yet released zstd-1.4.10 upstream.
        Since the patch from one of the Zstd developers that might actually be Zstd 1.5 or something very close to it.

Those patches also make the kernel's Zstd a higher version than the one ZFS includes. It's using 1.4.5 (IIRC) with a PR for 1.4.8 in the works. I wonder if the kernel and ZFS will ever share Zstd?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Since the patch from one of the Zstd developers that might actually be Zstd 1.5 or something very close to it.

Those patches also make the kernel's Zstd a higher version than the one ZFS includes. It's using 1.4.5 (IIRC) with a PR for 1.4.8 in the works. I wonder if the kernel and ZFS will ever share Zstd?
          zstd-1.4.10 is pretty similar to zstd-1.5.0, but once that patch series gets merged, I intended to keep zstd in the kernel up to date with every upstream release. So zstd-1.5.0 will follow shortly behind.

I talked with the ZFS on linux developers a while back. For now, they will continue using their own version. But, once zstd in the kernel is updated, and exposes the upstream API, they may consider sharing it. No promises though.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            First show me yours, not to mention you bitch all the time about Wayland being a piece of shit.
            Don't you dare say that, or he will show you all his contributions to open-source (including a Phoronix article) and proceed to insult you in the most lunatic way possible.

Comment

HA HA HA SO FUNNY. A corporation developed a really nice fast and efficient free software compressor for Linux and this is how you're thanking them? Amazing people we have here on Phoronix.

It is important to give credit where it is due.

So a corporation developed it? I wouldn't go as far. Would Suckerberg have developed that on his own? Or any of the other executives, and that whole bunch of people, whose unethical business decisions the company owes its cr@p reputation to?

Nope, it was developers that the company employs, people that could have developed it somewhere else just as well. It doesn't speak to the merit of farcebook, nor does it redeem it the slightest.

And what about your contributions, aside from shilling for for cr@ppy corporations?

Also, what do you reckon is the reason for them to be contributing to FOSS? Because they are great people that have society's best interest at heart, or because they deemed it more beneficial to them than to keep it closed?

Also, considering that FOSS is just a fancy label for what is essentially 99.9% big tech interests, how does contributing to it amount to a personal virtue?
              Last edited by ddriver; 14 May 2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

It is important to give credit where it is due.

So a corporation developed it? I wouldn't go as far. Would Suckerberg have developed that on his own? Or any of the other executives, and that whole bunch of people, whose unethical business decisions the company owes its cr@p reputation to?

Nope, it was developers that the company employs, people that could have developed it somewhere else just as well. It doesn't speak to the merit of farcebook, nor does it redeem it the slightest.

And what about your contributions, aside from shilling for for cr@ppy corporations?

Also, what do you reckon is the reason for them to be contributing to FOSS? Because they are great people that have society's best interest at heart, or because they deemed it more beneficial to them than to keep it closed?

Also, considering that FOSS is just a fancy label for what is essentially 99.9% big tech interests, how does contributing to it amount to a personal virtue?
                Even if a corporation develops something and releases it for free under a Stallman approved license, Linux fanatics continue to disparage it. Also, I've never shilled for any corporation, so please gently bugger off. If you dare to disagree, please quote me.

It's astonishing how much ungrateful scum we have here.
                Last edited by birdie; 14 May 2021, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Don't bother to ever quote me again, I've BL'ed you.
                  What? Is that all you got? Is that what you think gives you the higher ground?
                  I have a repo on github with several projects with lots of clones and forks, but I'm not a lil winy bitch like you so I won't BL you.

Not to mention it has nothing to do with you bitching about Wayland (which is also FOSS) on another thread like a mad flat-earther while on this thread not being able to take a joke on another FOSS project.

Comment

Let's start with the Linux kernel itself. Don't bother to ever quote me again, I've BL'ed you.

BL'ed as well. Even if a corporation develops something and releases it for free under a Stallman approved license, Linux fanatics continue to disparage it. Also, I've never shilled for any corporation, so please gently bugger off. If you dare to disagree, please quote me.

It's astonishing how much ungrateful scum we have here.
                    So Stallman is god, and everything his notions of licensing touches is intrinsic goodness? And you talk about fanatics? Hypocrite much?

The reason why FOSS dominates everything BUT consumer space is FOSS is all about the needs of big corporations, which all boil down to making a profit, which is only possible through taking more than they give society.

Even if one objectively good thing came out of farcebook, that is absolutely negligible in comparison to the damage that particular company inflicts in its process of making money.

You have as much to be grateful to farcebook as a pig to a farmer. After all, he feeds you, and that's all about a pig can be bothered to be concerned with. Is that all life has to offer? To what end are you being taken care of? Who cares, not a pig anyway.

Comment

Calling Zstd "FckStd" is not a joke, it's an insult to the people who developed it, who are not Zuckerberg and who most likely have nothing to do with all the privacy related scandals Facebook has been involved in. And then all those people who are willing to share information about them to the entire world maybe shouldn't expect too much privacy in the first place.

And sorry, for some reasons people believe you must be an expert in the field to criticise something - that's a falsehood and it has been debunked a billion of times already. So, I will continue to criticise Wayland because of its flawed design. Over the past couple of weeks a number of Phoronix users have admitted that even Gnome under Wayland doesn't work perfectly and has its quirks. That's unacceptable for any product which is shoved down people's throats.

Comment

Working...
                      X