Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Qt Company Publishes 2021 Roadmap

Phoronix: The Qt Company Publishes 2021 Roadmap

With Qt 6.1 being released next month, The Qt Company has published their 2021 road-map outlining some of their plans for the remainder of the calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Afaik, 6.2 was supposed to have everything ported over. Was it announced some modules will be ported after 6.2?

Comment

Ubuntu 21.04 only have Qt 5, not Qt 6 in its repository.
      Are there any Qt 6 apps out there?
      The only Qt app that I use is VLC media player.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Are there any Qt 6 apps out there?
        Not that I'm aware of but if the APIs didn't change too much (as they claim) many application will "just work" with no to minimal effort. But even the Gentoo maintainers aren't willing to provide ebuilds for Qt6 at this point.
        VLC might work as it only needs qt{gui,svg,widgets}. Wireshark doesn't (requires qtmultimedia}, KeePassXC might work. But it will be very hit-and-miss so I won't update until all my Qt applications are compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by trilean View Post

[...] I won't update until all my Qt applications are compatible.
          Just to clarify: in the Qt4 to Qt5 transition, I could have Qt4 and Qt5 installed at the same time. Some programs used Qt4 and some other programs used Qt5, at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
            Just to clarify: in the Qt4 to Qt5 transition, I could have Qt4 and Qt5 installed at the same time. Some programs used Qt4 and some other programs used Qt5, at the same time.
            The same thing should be possible for Qt5/6 because all the Qt5 libs are named libqt5.... It's not that I think it's impossible. I just want to keep my system clean and tidy and not have multiple versions of the same toolkit around if I don't have too (as all apps will continue to be buildable with Qt5 for a long time).

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
              Just to clarify: in the Qt4 to Qt5 transition, I could have Qt4 and Qt5 installed at the same time.
              Fedora (34) is shipping Qt6 the same way (parallel install for Qt6, and Qt5, and the still available/used (by a few apps) Qt4). It would be expected that parallel install and usage will be the norm for many years into the future.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Fedora (34) is shipping Qt6 the same way (parallel install for Qt6, and Qt5, and the still available/used (by a few apps) Qt4). It would be expected that parallel install and usage will be the norm for many years into the future.
                Even without installing them by default, apps will still pull their dependencies as needed. As attested by the 3-5 versions of electron I have on my machine

Comment

I will stay on Qt5 for a couple of years until Qt6 is stable and LTS is out. I have absolutely no need for any new features right now.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                    I will stay on Qt5 for a couple of years until Qt6 is stable and LTS is out. I have absolutely no need for any new features right now.
                    As independent Qt apps developer maybe, but as KDE/LxQt user you will use whatever KDE/LxQt pulls as build dependency in your distro. As the latter, I could care less what version runs underneath.

Comment

Working...
                    X