No announcement yet.

Google Deprecating RenderScript In Favor Of Vulkan Compute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead of everyone, I will just say thanks for the various dialog. It has been informative and interesting, and that is not sarcasm, I mean it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Android is on mobile, unlike chromeOs. So I consider the vulkan integration able to take benefit from the GPU despite of Renderscript a progress for users (I'm not questioning about google company and its Os as well, because I'm used to apply linux Oses which I prefer).
      Aand now we're back to square one

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Not more low-level. Its a simple very feature-less API designed for a simple very feature-less GPU.
        Vulkan is low level as in its API matches the hardware feature set of a proper modern GPU, and that is simply more then Apple's Toy Tile Render GPU.
        GOOD FOR YOU BUCKO !! Usually each day I look for the most Cosmically and even Quantum Mechanically ignorant thing someone said. Usually it's a politician looking for "Celebrity" status or a celebrity looking for "Political" status. Or...just to make it simple and time effecient for me I just go to Fox News.

But congrats, to say that Apple's GPU is a "Toy Tile Render GPU" wins you 1st Place in the MOST IGNORANT THING SAID TODAY award.

It's STUPIDLY easy to waste die space and registers and CUs to the point of making a GPU which needs 4 Onboard fans AND a Water Block just so you can brag that your rig can do a Blender render, mine Ether, run a BOINC client, play Crysis AND watch "John Wick 3" in 4K all at the same time. Because...you know, you're parents still pay the electric bill.

But it takes real engineering skills to replicate the performance of a discreet mobile Nvidia GTX 1650 embedded in die in a completely fanless laptop.

Oh...by the way... every Nvidia GPU since Maxwell and every AMD GPU since Vega can do Tile Based Deferred Rendering. But I guess they're "toys" also...right ??

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

Actually HT was inspired by Alpha. Jim Keller brought this "philosophy" from the DEC when he joined AMD afterwards.
          I know. The Athlon and Bulldozer designs had a lot of Alpha paradigms in them. But in an interview shortly after HT came out Jim Keller himself said the crossbar design of HT was in part inspired by the crossbar design of MIPS.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

among other nice features I can recommend /e/ OS https://e.foundation/ ....you will get newer "android" builds for older devices.
            Yeah, I was using cyanogenmods until I seem to have acquired a run of phones (they keep melting in this heat I live in) that all seem to not support the more open ROM's like e and Lineage.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              I don't think I have ever used (or even heard of) RenderScript...
              It's what they opted for, instead of embracing OpenCL.
              : (

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                It's what they opted for, instead of embracing OpenCL.
                : (
                Probably because OpenCL is more "workstation"-oriented. Seeing OpenCL on an exclusively mobile chip sounds like a dream (floating point requirements, which were not viable 10-20 years ago when we had the first mobile device chips).

Comment

Why are you trying so hard to side with Google on this?

Probably because OpenCL is more "workstation"-oriented.
                  No, there was even an embedded profile.

Seeing OpenCL on an exclusively mobile chip sounds like a dream
                  Qualcomm and a couple other SoCs supported it. All the mobile iGPUs could do it. It wouldn't have taken much for Google to push for them all to actually support it.

(floating point requirements, which were not viable 10-20 years ago when we had the first mobile device chips).
                  OpenCL 1.0 was released in 2009. Apple designed it to run on all their platforms, including the iPhone.

RenderScript debuted in Android 3.0, which came out in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Aand now we're back to square one
                    Rather a circle. I would say.
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 22 April 2021, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X