Rust Support In The Linux Kernel Undergoing Another Round Of Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Support In The Linux Kernel Undergoing Another Round Of Discussions

Phoronix: Rust Support In The Linux Kernel Undergoing Another Round Of Discussions

Last month the initial infrastructure for allowing the Rust programming language to be used within the Linux kernel landed in the Linux-Next tree for more widespread testing ahead of its possible inclusion in the mainline kernel. Now a "request for comments" has been started again on the kernel mailing list around the prospects of Rust code for the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is memory safety so hard people had to create another language to address it?

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
      Considering it's a problem that has costed billions of dollars and uncountable man-hours over the past 50 years yet is nowhere near solved in traditional languages, I'd say yes.

Comment

I’ve finally gotten around to learning Rust. It’s a great modern language that makes me actually consider doing systems programming. (Not a fan of how error prone c and c++ are) There are some unfortunate aspects of the language though.

The lack of variadic functions and default/optional/labeled parameters is sad. People seem to love macros or the using the builder pattern as solutions. The builder pattern looks cool from a caller’s perspective, but it’s so verbose to implement...

Those two off the top of my head are a pain compared to other languages that I use. I’ll add more if I remember them later.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
          1. Yes it's extremely hard and 2. The point is not even memory safety as such but its PROVABILITY. It is possible to write code that is effectively memory safe in C but it's strictly impossible to prove it.

PS: Rust is not just about memory safety.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
            I’ve finally gotten around to learning Rust. It’s a great modern language that makes me actually consider doing systems programming. (Not a fan of how error prone c and c++ are) There are some unfortunate aspects of the language though.

The lack of variadic functions and default/optional/labeled parameters is sad. People seem to love macros or the using the builder pattern as solutions. The builder pattern looks cool from a caller’s perspective, but it’s so verbose to implement...

Those two off the top of my head are a pain compared to other languages that I use. I’ll add more if I remember them later.
            In rust there is no way to temporarily disable a part of your code, like #if 0-#endif in C.

Comment

The Linux kernel build process has already a laundry list of dependencies; adding LLVM to the mix won't change much as this stage. I think the single strong argument against Rust in the kernel at the moment is that it doesn't support all the legacy architectures that Linux can run on (SPARC, HPPA etc). On the other hand, those are already not supported by the major distros, and whatever works only offers a subset of the modern features anyway. Their dropping is only a matter of time, so the introduction of Rust could be a good moment to officially deprecate them.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                In rust there is no way to temporarily disable a part of your code, like #if 0-#endif in C.
                Rust has "features" that let you selectively enable parts of the code; but it doesn't have any #ifdef/#endif which is a Very Good Thing.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  Of course there is you can just use cfg see https://doc.rust-lang.org/rust-by-ex...ibute/cfg.html for example. The target can be replaced by custom featuresets you create and choose build-time.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

Of course there is you can just use cfg see https://doc.rust-lang.org/rust-by-ex...ibute/cfg.html for example. The target can be replaced by custom featuresets you create and choose build-time.
                    The tricky part is the editor integration.
                    Vim can recognize #if 0 #endif, but afaik there is no standard pattern for cfg (no, "if cfg!(false)" doesn't work)

Comment

Working...
                    X