Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM 12.0 Delays Drag On With RC5 Now Shipping

Phoronix: LLVM 12.0 Delays Drag On With RC5 Now Shipping

LLVM 12.0 was supposed to ship at the start of March but now more than one month later and some 6,660+ commits to LLVM 13.0 already, LLVM 12.0 has not yet shipped but on Wednesday 12.0.0-rc5 was issued...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...0-rc5-Released

As there is one new test failure with RC5 over RC4, I guess there will be yet another RC before release.

Comment

It isn’t “dragging on” but rather a commitment to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Exactly. These RC's have caught multiple infinite loops and incorrect code generation bugs. I'm grateful llvm has a highly competent release manager who cares more about a quality release than meeting an arbitrary deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

Exactly. These RC's have caught multiple infinite loops and incorrect code generation bugs. I'm grateful llvm has a highly competent release manager who cares more about a quality release than meeting an arbitrary deadline.
          Speaking of quality, would it make sense for them to do CI/conformance/performance testing on a per merge request basis as Mesa is partly doing? I get it that this is somewhat a matter of ressources and that they don't embrace this Github/Gitlab-like workflow yet, but with so many companies relying on LLVM/Clang nowadays, there could be efforts to make the life of the release manager easier by better testing. I assume that this would also improve the stability of those living off llvm-git.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            While it's certainly the correct choice, this has become a pattern, indicating there's likely something they need to fix in their release schedule. LLVM 10 was a month late, LLVM 11 was 1 and 1/2 months late, and LLVM 12 is already over a month late.

Comment

Working...
            X